Dishwasher ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

If you install a cord on your DW and put an outlet in the adjacent cabinet under the sink. Does it have to be a GFCI protected circuit / outlet. Same for microwave ?
Both are fastened in place.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Dave --- No on both accounts. I will add that unless you use an approved manufacturers cord and plug on the dw it is a violation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In addition to Dennis's comment - just a couple of side bars to this and things I ran into with inspectors on this topic : 1) you do not need to have a breaker lock-out device for the DW or micro if they're cord and plug attached. The cord attachment to the receptacle is an acceptable disconnect means; 2) Most of us use duplex receptacles, mainly because it's what we carry on our trucks and because they're less expensive than single receptacles. If an inspector gives you any grief because of the add'l receptacle - snap off the tab on the receptacle so only one works; 3) If an inspector gives to grief for drilling through the side of the cabinet indicating that it's a fire hazard, explain that the cabinet is considered furniture and is not rated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well if drilling thru a cabinet is an issue with rubber cord then there are a lot of violations out there. One brand dishwasher- not sure which one right now, comes with cord and plug. The instructions are to install the recep. in the adjacent cabinet.

Generally I install a box under the sink. If it is direct wire I install a switch -- the switch leg is also run at rough in. If it is cord and plug, I disconnect the switch leg and install a receptacle.

220/221

That's the way it's been done here forever.

DW and disp plug into a 1/2 switched recep under the sink. No GFCI, 20A circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I will add that unless you use an approved manufacturers cord and plug on the dw it is a violation.

What do you mean by approved manufacturers cord and plug? Approved by whom? I tried to purchase one for a job and couldn't find anyone who had a cord made by or approved by the manufacturer of the dishwasher.

cpal

What do you mean by approved manufacturers cord and plug? Approved by whom? I tried to purchase one for a job and couldn't find anyone who had a cord made by or approved by the manufacturer of the dishwasher.

Section 7.3.1A of UL 25 states if the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies that the appliance may be connected via a power-supply cord which is not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the manufactures instructions will specify which cord kit marked for use with the dishwashers shall be used. The part or model number of the kit will be included in the
installation instructions.

kwired

Electron manager
That may meet grief. Around here we aren't allowed to install items that don't work. Kind of like installing switcshes that don't operate anything.

What is the problem with installing a switch that does not operate anything?

How many circuit breakers have you seen installed in a panel that have nothing connected to them?

How many times have you seen spare conductors or cables installed for possible future use?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Section 7.3.1A of UL 25 states if the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies that the appliance may be connected via a power-supply cord which is not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the manufactures instructions will specify which cord kit marked for use with the dishwashers shall be used. The part or model number of the kit will be included in the

cpal's data may outdate mine, but the attached is quoyed from UL-749 (Standards)

UL Standard UL-749
UL 749
Household Dishwashers

7.3 Installation instructions

7.3.1A
Where the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies
that the appliance is able to be connected by means of a power-supply cord
not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the instructions
shall specify
that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be use
d
. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
7.3.2 The installation instructions provided with a cord-connected undercounter appliance shall include
the following instructions or equivalent information:
a) the power-supply receptacle for the appliance shall be installed in a cabinet or on a wall
adjacent to the undercounter space in which the appliance is to be installed;
b) there shall be an opening through the partition between the compartments specified in (a) that
is large enough for the attachment plug to pass through. The longest dimension of the opening
shall not be more than 38 mm;
c) the edges of the opening specified in (b) shall, if the partition is wood, be smooth and rounded,
or, if the partition is metal, be covered with an edge protector provided for this purpose b y the
manufacturer; and
d) care shall be exercised, when the appliance is installed or removed, to reduce the likelihood of
damage to the power-supply cord.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
cpal's data may outdate mine, but the attached is quoyed from UL-749 (Standards)

UL Standard UL-749
UL 749
Household Dishwashers

7.3 Installation instructions

7.3.1A
Where the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies
that the appliance is able to be connected by means of a power-supply cord
not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the instructions
shall specify
that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be use
d
. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
7.3.2 The installation instructions provided with a cord-connected undercounter appliance shall include
the following instructions or equivalent information:
a) the power-supply receptacle for the appliance shall be installed in a cabinet or on a wall
adjacent to the undercounter space in which the appliance is to be installed;
b) there shall be an opening through the partition between the compartments specified in (a) that
is large enough for the attachment plug to pass through. The longest dimension of the opening
shall not be more than 38 mm;
c) the edges of the opening specified in (b) shall, if the partition is wood, be smooth and rounded,
or, if the partition is metal, be covered with an edge protector provided for this purpose b y the
manufacturer; and
d) care shall be exercised, when the appliance is installed or removed, to reduce the likelihood of
damage to the power-supply cord.

So by this standard a home depot cord set marked Dishwasher Use is acceptable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
seems so...
how many States you will have to visit to see a rejection tag for this violation is unknown

John120/240

We've debated this problem before. If the cord is UL listed, installed by a

qualified electrican using accepted methods, what's the big deal ? Such an

installation will not raise an eye brow here.

Status
Not open for further replies.