Disposal Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I need to find a decorative type switch that will go in a kitchen backsplash for a disposal. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a standard toggle on the wall but customer wants pretty. Don't care if it opperates via contactor or latching relay, just needs to look nice.

dezwitinc

Switch

Switch

I take it she has rejected the idea of Decora?
That's about as unobtrusive as I have seen.
Or have her buy the garbage gobbler with the magnetic switch, then she won't see anything at all.

raider1

Staff member
I really like the air switches that they have out. They look like a switch for a hydromassage bathtub and fit into a hole on the kitchen sink. All you need to supply is an unswitched receptacle under the sink.

HERE is a link to a company that makes an air switch.

Chris

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i like those air switches. i usually install them if i have a sink w/ disposal in an island. i have used them on penninsular counters as well. a standard decora sw. will work just fine too. there are a few different variations of decora such as the cooper aspire line, and leviton has a new line called acenti that's pretty sharp.

iwire

Staff member
How about this one.....

fs_dis_swtch.jpg

.....I think it would look cool in the kitchen. :cool:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
raider1 said:
I really like the air switches that they have out. They look like a switch for a hydromassage bathtub and fit into a hole on the kitchen sink. All you need to supply is an unswitched receptacle under the sink.

Chris

That is what I think she wants. I personally would install Bob's just for the S&Gs, but the customer's Mother In Law, my wife, would raise holy hell.

raider1

Staff member
ptonsparky said:
That is what I think she wants. I personally would install Bob's just for the S&Gs, but the customer's Mother In Law, my wife, would raise holy hell.

You had better keep the customer's Mother-in-law happy at all costs.:D

Chris

tallguy

ptonsparky said:

I must say... I for one would find this situation irresistable. Of course with a "real customer" you couldn't do so, but with family or friends one can take all sorts of liberties for the sake of seeing the looks on their faces...

mdshunk

tallguy said:
I must say... I for one would find this situation irresistable. Of course with a "real customer" you couldn't do so, but with family or friends one can take all sorts of liberties for the sake of seeing the looks on their faces...
Like a big honking sidearm disconnect like you'd do for a restaraunt disposer. :)

kbsparky

You can use just about any properly rated switch to accomplish the task of controlling your disposal. A Decora type might be just the ticket you're looking for.

HOWEVER, it should be pointed out that this type of switch is not suitable to serve as the required disconnecting means for your unit. In order to qualify as the disconnecting means, the switch has to be indicating with the word "off" plainly visible.

The workaround is to have some other disconnecting means available, such as a breaker-lock, or cord-and-plug connection under the cabinet. Then, you are free to use the decora type switch as a means of controlling your unit.

:grin:

tonyou812

iwire said:
I would be pretty irritated if someone put a momentary switch on my disposal.:mad:
Me too. I use my disposal all the time(used to be a chef) it would be a real pain to get rid old margarita mix if i acualluy had to stand there and hold the switch down when i could be doing something else. I have seen pnuematic switches put into granite counter tops but cannot think of a brand. start with that.

masterelect1

Guarantee That she Buys This

Guarantee That she Buys This

Put in a "dimmer switch" and tell that for the really "heavy stuff" she has to crank it all the way up to the right (women love to have control) and for the "light stuff" she can leave it all the way to the "left".

I swear she will buy it.:grin: :smile:

John

480sparky

masterelect1 said:
Put in a "dimmer switch" and tell that for the really "heavy stuff" she has to crank it all the way up to the right (women love to have control) and for the "light stuff" she can leave it all the way to the "left".

I swear she will buy it.:grin: :smile:

John

MORE POWER!!!!! (insert simian grunts here)

Status
Not open for further replies.