Distance between fan and recessed lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Benn awhile since I dealt with that. I gave as much clearance as possible but I think I gave at least 3 feet from the fan. Most cans didn’t have much more spread than that if I recall correctly.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
I have been researching the exact topic over the past several days and it seemed like the consensus was a minimum of 24” from tip of fan blade to the can light.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Benn awhile since I dealt with that. I gave as much clearance as possible but I think I gave at least 3 feet from the fan. Most cans didn’t have much more spread than that if I recall correctly.
3 feet from the TIP of the fan blade. That's what I was taught.

You can get mathematical about it and find the beam angle of your lights and do some trigonometry.

Even LED diodes still have a beam angle.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
With l.e.d. trims, you almost can't get them far enough away to avoid strobing shadows. Most have a beam angle somewhere around 120 degrees, and the blades on a fan are just too low. I'd guess 5 or 6 feet.

Or put in standard cans with baffle trims and spot bulbs. Then you have 4 light spots on the floor 😎

synchro

Occupation
EE
Would ceiling fans with lights below them help in filling in some of the shadows on the light coming from the LED trims? The shadows would still be there, just not as dark. The fan light would need to have sufficient intensity and appropriate beamwidth, which probably most of them aren't.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
A theoretical demonstration of the Trigonometry where:

(1) The "Fan Sweep," or "Diameter of the Fan from Tip to Tip" = 52".... thus Center of Fan to Blade Tip = 26"
(2) The Blades are spaced 1ft off the ceiling
(3) The Beam Angle of the Can Light is 120 deg.

1601844434483.png

Theoretical conclusion: The can should be spaced no less than 3.89 ft from the center of the fan.

Now this isn't perfect because I'm taking the beam angle from the center of the can and you get light reflected off the floor... but it covers the basic trig.

Status
Not open for further replies.