distances between coax cable and voltage lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernandop

hi,

I wonder if someone could help me,

I need to know, what is the distance required between coaxial backbone and medium voltage (10,000 volts to 15,000 volts)?

What is the distance required between coaxial backbone and low voltaje (115 volts to 480 volts)?.

Regards,

Fernandop

yes, this is for MATV.

we are going to run the coaxial backbone underground near to 10,000 to 15,000 volts

because of that we need to know the mimimun distance between the voltage and coaxial lines to avoid the electromagnetic interference comming from voltage lines.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
4 foot wide trench, never had a problem with primary on one side and CATV/telephone on the other. I really don't think EM interference is a probem, proper grounding is what you need to worry about.

-Hal

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Regarding the distance between coax backbone and power/lighting 120-480, there is no minimum distance per the NEC- and of course it can not be in the same enclosure, raceway or box. This means a NM cable and coax cable can run in the same bored hole in a 2x4. The NEC is a safety standard, and running coax in the same bored hole is not a recommended practice by BICSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.