Distribution panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctj88

I'm new here, thank you for the help in advance.

I have a 600amp-480v panel, feed to a 25kva transformer, supply by a 30amp single phase breaker. Secondary side of transformer is feeding a 120/240v distribution panel(no main breaker at distribution panel) The equipment grounding conductor and the neutral conductor should be in the same bar or separate?
if the can share the same bar, then do I need a main bonding jumper at the transformer?.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome.

There should be a neutral conductor and an EGC. They should be bonded at one point, either in the transformer or in the panel, but not both.

In either case, it's good practice to wire the panel as if the neutrals and the EGCs are to be separate, even if the bond is to be in the panel.

Don't forget your grounding electrode system.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The bonding jumper at the transformer or the panel would be a system bonding jumper not a main bonding jumper. As Larry stated it needs to be either at the transformer or in the panel and at the same location that your GEC would connect. Also take a look at 408.36 regarding an OCPD for the panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Interesting on many fronts. I'm surprised your 25kva transformer doesn't trip due to inrush current.
As to the transformer grounding/bonding the sketch below might help.
As mentioned see 408.36 for requirement for a main.
transformer.jpg

jctj88

Very helpful

Very helpful

I did look at 250.30(A)(1)(a)&(b) yesterday and the picture is just perfect. i can see now that both ways are correct as long as is not double bonded for it'll create parallel paths for ground and create a bigger hazard. And thank you for the correction on the main bonding jumper and the System Bonding Jumper, i saw that in the definitions. As far as the OCPD for the distribution panel it does not have one buacuse it falls into the 240.21(C)(1)(2) rule, but if i'm wrong please let me know.

Thank you guys for taking the time to write back to teach others like me I will forward the knowledge and teach others.

P.S my name is jay from Oklahoma working in the oilfield at the moment. PM me if you have more questions.:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . both ways are correct as long as is not double bonded for it'll create parallel paths for ground and create a bigger hazard.
Actually, the concern is a parallel pathway for neutral current on parts that should never carry normal current.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As far as the OCPD for the distribution panel it does not have one buacuse it falls into the 240.21(C)(1)(2) rule, but if i'm wrong please let me know.

240.21(C)(1)(2) is about protecting only the conductors on the secondary of a transformer.
However, the panelboard also needs protection per 408.36, as others have mentioned.

jctj88

jim..

i was talking about the secondary side of the transformer when i mention 240.21(C)(2) thats why i didnt put a OCPD on the secondary distribution panel, as far as the primary side of the transformer it is protected by a OCPD as well as the MDP.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
jim..

i was talking about the secondary side of the transformer when i mention 240.21(C)(2) thats why i didnt put a OCPD on the secondary distribution panel, as far as the primary side of the transformer it is protected by a OCPD as well as the MDP.

I know what used to be a common practice, but the panelboard cannot be a Main Lug Only design, since at least 2014. 408.36 requires the panelboard to have an overcurrent protective device. 408.36(B) requires the device to be located on the secondary side of the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.