Division not listed in UL certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Myers

Occupation
Engineer
Hi, I'm hoping someone with experience in reading UL certs can enlighten me.

I'm specifying some equipment and must give the hazardous location ratings including class, division, and group. Most products I'm looking at give all this, but a couple of items leave out the Division info. They say Class I and give groups, and that's it. The UL certifications are written the same way as the manufacturer product info.

My hunch is that if division is left off it means the equipment is certified for all divisions including Div 1, but I'm not very familiar with UL documents and haven't found this spelled out anywhere. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Eric Myers

Occupation
Engineer
Correct. The question is, if the certification doesn't explicitly list the division, what is the division? I want to say "All", but I'd like to find it in black and white somewhere.

Eric Myers

Occupation
Engineer
See Section 500.8(C)(2).
Thanks. Though I bet that reference would clear the question right up, I unfortunately don't have access to confirm. My hope was to go the cheap route and inspire some kind internet soul to do all the knowing and snipping for me :)

The manufacturer of one of the items supplied an answer, which I'll post in the clear for anyone else that may come along later with the same question.

It’s common practice for all agencies that when the unit is Division 1, it is not required to show it. When it is Division 2, you must show it.
ul_div_rule.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
See Section 500.8(C)(2).
(2) Division. The marking shall specify the division if the
equipment is suitable for Division 2 only. Equipment suitable
for Division 1 shall be permitted to omit the division marking.

Informational Note: Equipment not marked to indicate a division,
or marked “Division 1” or “Div. 1,” is suitable for both Division
1 and 2 locations; see 500.8(B)(2). Equipment marked
“Division 2” or “Div. 2” is suitable for Division 2 locations only.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks. Though I bet that reference would clear the question right up, I unfortunately don't have access to confirm. My hope was to go the cheap route and inspire some kind internet soul to do all the knowing and snipping for me :)
The code is accessible for free at napa.org/70. Not real user friendly, but usable, especially when you have a section number.

Status
Not open for further replies.