diy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot wire

Has any body been on the diy.com web site .They have a listing for different things elec,plumbing,ect.Its scarry the people trying to do electricial projects and there first words are i dont have a clue.Thats as bad as going into lowes and the sales person trying to tell someboby how to do some thing.And the person replying doesnt have a clue .scary

TOOL_5150

i pretty much stay away from sites like that. If people want to put their family in danger to save a few bucks, then so be it. They will just end up statistics, hopefully proving that DIY electrical is not advised.

~Matt

480sparky

There's not much you can do about it, and people are going to DIY no matter how you feel.

The best advice I can give you is: Get over it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For what it's worth there are many electricians who tackle DIY projects outside of their field of expertise. I don't see a problem with it as long as they receive the proper information which you likely won't receive from some of those other forums.

WorkSafe

I have done many many electrical projects, plumbing, carpentry, etc as a DIYer and all perfectly to code, so to generalize DIYers as being "dangerous" might be inappropriate.

There are however, lots of DIYers AND pro's who are not doing things to code and making things dangerous.

SEO

DIYers can do good work. I make a lot of inspections of DIY installations and some are very good and many not so good. What I have found is that IMO tradesmen working out of their field are usually the best followed by auto mechanics and sometimes engineers.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree that it's not fair to lump all DIYers in to one group. As an inspector one of the most beautiful service changes I have ever seen was done by a DIYer and I mean I would put it up against any EC. I went inside to sign the job card and he had a copy of the NEC and several other books and told me that he wanted to do it right.

And I also agree that just because your in the trades doesn't make it ok for you to work outside of your field and then point a finger at others who do their own work. I know many an electrician that work on their own trucks and you can bet that there are a bunch of mechanics out there just shaking their heads. "I wouldn't wire a house, what makes him think he can put brakes on a truck?"

480sparky

I agree that it's not fair to lump all DIYers in to one group. As an inspector one of the most beautiful service changes I have ever seen was done by a DIYer and I mean I would put it up against any EC. I went inside to sign the job card and he had a copy of the NEC and several other books and told me that he wanted to do it right.

There is, however, a huge chasm between a HO and an EC. We call it money. A HO can take all the time they care to to make a project 'perfect'.

ECs are not afforded the luxury of unlimited labor costs and an open-ended schedule. We need to get in, get it done fast, and get paid. WHat may get done, redone and overdone by a HO may well be good enough for the electrican and the inspector.

I'm not trying to say most electricians do sloppy work, but the clock is ticking when they roll up and they just don't have the time and resources the HO has to install a service that can grace the cover of ECMag.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
There is, however, a huge chasm between a HO and an EC. We call it money. A HO can take all the time they care to to make a project 'perfect'.

ECs are not afforded the luxury of unlimited labor costs and an open-ended schedule. We need to get in, get it done fast, and get paid. WHat may get done, redone and overdone by a HO may well be good enough for the electrican and the inspector.

I'm not trying to say most electricians do sloppy work, but the clock is ticking when they roll up and they just don't have the time and resources the HO has to install a service that can grace the cover of ECMag.

I don't disagree. No EC would have ever taken the time to do the job that this guy did, my point was that his job was up to and exceeding the standards of many an EC and it's not fair that he be labeled a "hack" simply because he chose to save a few bucks and do the work himself.

cadpoint

Has any body been on the diy.com web site .They have a listing for different things elec,plumbing,ect.

I'll look again when I need to know. Thank Goodness for the Freedom of Information we have.

Its scarry the people trying to do electricial projects and there first words are i dont have a clue.Thats as bad as going into lowes and the sales person trying to tell someboby how to do some thing.And the person replying doesnt have a clue .scary

If you never took up a of vocation what would you know? Would you say that same statement when you go to install something or truly go to introduce yourself to any other new application? Hopefully, I know I would.

When a person says that to me, I tell them I have a clue, and it scares the bageebee's out of me.

It is no Cure that a lot of us in the trade, experience construction, and installations. that build up macheese mo about this work.
It can be complex, hard work and at times requires a firm and knowledgable understanding for the application.

I think it just comes out in our Eyes as to how safe, or how safely it was correctly installed if we think of or about a laymen installation!

Is it the aspect of a green horn just did it? make a Joke, Curse them more... :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.