DLO listed mechanical lugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotw

Good afternoon, all. I am involved in an installation of a large Square D switchboard (3000A) and our customer has purchased 646 DLO they want us to use for feeder conductors. I am trying to find out if the aluminum lugs in the switchboard are rated for fine stranded wire. I can't find any documentation regarding lugs on Schneider's website. If they aren't rated for DLO, then I suppose we go with ferrules or copper bands? Any input, thoughts, or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

Just checking.... is this "DLO" cable dual rated as something like "RHH" or "RHW"? "DLO" itself isn't a recognized wiring type.

As for the lugs, you may just have to call Schneider with the model/serial# of the switchboard; they should be able to check fairly easily.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen these "wraps" used with standard lugs and DLO cable. Not sure if they're code complaint. This came from a switchboard manufacturer.

20180523_091518.jpg

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Seen and done that a bunch. Like you I am not sure if its to code......

This is a link to a Schneider Electric FAQ, about panelboard lugs, which links to a NEMA publication.
https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA275084/

Effectively it boils down to: "[FONT=ArialRoundedMTforSE-Light_Latin]With no marking or factory instructions to the contrary, terminals may be used only with Class B stranded conductors."[/FONT]

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
No comment on the validity of such use in lugs, however this is a standard technique for some brands of cam-loc connectors. The finely stranded wire is stripped, wrapped in a copper sheet, inserted in the cam-loc terminal, and clamped with a couple of set screws.

-Jon

Wire-Smith

I only like compression or welding with finer stranded wire, you can find rated mechanical pretty easy now but I would change out for compression. With mechanical I think compressing the strands enough is an issue, also cutting through strands easily and strands getting in threads. If you don't compress well enough and the connection runs close to capacity and then cools and keeps cycling like that your more likely for the joint to keep deteriorating. They also make adapters that have a b or c strand wire on the end with a compression barrel for the dlo

Square d actually has a bulletin out that suggests the copper shims in your situation

DLO, DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE CABLE, its fine stranded and I think rubber type like others suggested

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Square D has this paper:

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/...26881/en_US/Fine Stranded Wire 0515DB0301.pdf

It recommends

A solution to these problems is to use sleeves, around the strands of the
wire. Conductor sleeves are defined, as any moderately thin copper shim
stock material (3/1000 to 20/1000 thick) that, when wrapped around the
exposed conductor surface, will contain the wire strands as a single
compact mass.

These look good, and are listed:
https://mechanicallugs.com/index.php/flex-cable-adapters.html

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
That was limited to Class D stranding; "DLO" and "welding cable" (assuming a suitable type to meet code) are much finer stranding. Just based on that, I would have qualms.

I would have qualms too. I wouldn't mind specifying DLO when its necessary for flexible connections, but I don't see any good reason to use it for a 3000 A service or feeder.

Also, what ampacity rating do you use? I guess you can assume 646KCM wire has at least the same rating as 600KCM wire, but you certainly can't use the 815 Amp rating listed on the cut sheets for single conductor installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.