Do addressable fire alarm systems have zones?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They have "zones" in the sense that you can only put so many devices in each loop. I think that loops may be a better description.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I assume they also have zones as a way of grouping devices for specific alarms, like "3rd floor duct detectors", so you can know what tripped (grouped by device address, not by which loop connects them).
Addressable systems gives each initiation device an address so the system knows what had triggered the alarm by the device address. You basically run a big "data loop" to the initiation devices and the system can read each device individually.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Do addressable fire alarm systems have zones, or is there no such thing for an addressable fire alarm system?
I don't want to be misdirected by your question, so in case you don't understand, you still have zones on your NAC circuits. They aren't addressable unless you are installing a new Simplex system.

farmantenna

They don't have like conventional systems,which have mechanical terminals for different zones. Addressable systems have sofware zones to make things happen.FireliteAlarm : You'll put certain initiation and output devices in a zone and when an addressable device in that zones trips its output devices will activate. Silent knight is different: You put initiation devices in zones and output devices or NACs(notification) in groups and then map ( link) them together for what you want to happen. You can almost do anything you want but some systems have limitations that make things difficult.