Do anyone know what an electrical design engineer job duties consist of..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artical430

Occupation
Electrical apptentice
Given: The kitchen of a restaurant contains the following listed cooking related equipment:

One 14 kW range
One 5.0 kW water heater
One 0.75 kW mixer
One 2.5 kW dishwasher
One 2.0 kW booster heater
One 2.0 kW broiler

Determine the demand load, in kW, on the service - entrance conductors for the kitchen equipment after applying the permitted demand factors.

A. 19.00 kW
B. 26.25 kW
C. 18.38 kW
D. 17.06 kW

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As was pointed out before, you will have to try to figure it out on your own and then post your method of arriving at your answer, then somebody will help you with where you went wrong if you did. We will not just give you answers.

Hint: article 220

Roger

Artical430

Occupation
Electrical apptentice
I am not aware what we job duties consist of...but for and the question goes I have contacted a couple of electrical design engineer companies and will ask the companies I contacted what the electrical design engineer job duties consist of...

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
A general supervising electrician (Best Boy Electric) / design engineer job responsibilities:
Directs, supervises, or controls the making of electrical installations.
Design, plan, and lay out work for the customers of the contractor, prepare CAD shop drawings, plans and load calculations.
Design and layout of lighting, power, control and communications systems.
Ensure all electrical installations meet minimum safety standards;
Be continuously employed on regular payroll and be available during all work hours, and on call during non work hours to carry out the duties.
Ensure proper electrical safety procedures are used per OSHA and NFPA 70E.
Ensure all electrical labels and permits required to perform electrical work are used and signed;
Work with HR to ensure electricians have proper licenses and or experience for the work performed, and may not permit either by assent or by failure to prevent, an individual to perform work for which they are not properly licensed;
Comply with corrective notices issued by the inspecting authority, utilities, architects and customers.
Inspect, test and advise to NEC, NESC, UL, ASTM, ANSI, NECA-1 and NETA standards as they apply to field projects and designs.
Direct and supervise foreman, project-managers and electricians.
Participate on the board of directors and attend meetings.
Provide continuing education classes for field crews.
The general signing supervising electrician is the only individual authorized to direct, supervise, or control the installation or alteration of an electrical service.
The general signing supervising electrician may make and perform electrical installations.
The general signing supervising electrician must in addition to the above shall be the sole signer of all permits.
The Deisgn Engineer shall stamp all plans, and perform all engineering tasks required by the NEC.

Artical430

Occupation
Electrical apptentice
Tortuga..thank you for that information...I would have never thought that a design engineer had to do all that...
I am speaking with a recruiter from ASU located in phoenix Arizona...what type of school program do I need to learn all of that stuff...

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Looking at the list from Tortuga-- remember that although it's handy to be able to do all of those tasks, you don't necessarily have to do all of them yourself. That's what foremen, project managers, and electricians are for. But you have to be able to find the good ones, and include them in your stable of talent. And then, have the skill to direct them and tell them what to do. And, sometimes, tell them where to go! :)

Things like 'provide continuing education--' hire an instructor.
Ensure all electrical installations meet minimum safety standards-- hire a code-expert inspector as a member of the crew as a go-to person. Make that person in charge of OSHA and NFPA 70E compliance as well

You're still responsible, but sharing the load is part of the job.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Looking at the list from Tortuga-- remember that although it's handy to be able to do all of those tasks, you don't necessarily have to do all of them yourself. That's what foremen, project managers, and electricians are for. But you have to be able to find the good ones, and include them in your stable of talent. And then, have the skill to direct them and tell them what to do. And, sometimes, tell them where to go! :)

Things like 'provide continuing education--' hire an instructor.
Ensure all electrical installations meet minimum safety standards-- hire a code-expert inspector as a member of the crew as a go-to person. Make that person in charge of OSHA and NFPA 70E compliance as well

You're still responsible, but sharing the load is part of the job.
Yeah exactly, you just bottom line all that stuff, and focus on the part you like.
(The continuing education part is my favorite part.)

A "supervising electrician" license is unique to Oregon, its the same as a C10 in California, or an 'Administrator' in Washington, I believe.
I have a bucket list goal to take the EE exam here someday.

"attend meetings" is the challenging one for me.
Luckily we have allot of drive thru espresso booths in Oregon....

Status
Not open for further replies.