Do contactless smart cards garble USB drives & credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerxes

I have my T-Money money card (public transportation), Secom security card (work security entry card), apartment door card (automatic door card) sometimes all in my pocket. I noticed my credit card magnetic stripes not working or noticed my USB thumb drive go bad (not often, at least now that I don't put them together in the same pocket).

Was it mere coincidence or do the contactless smart cards all emit some low level RF signals that mess with the megnetic encryption on credit cards or thumb drives. Once I lost my thumb drive a few months back and my credit cards a few months back before that, I have separated them forever in my pockets, but I would rather them all dangling from my cell phone or all in one wallet (one pocket).

Was it all just coincidence? A Google search only says that the smart cards have inductors in them that use ambient RF signals to power their electronics. The logic is that since credit cards and USB drives don't emit such ambient RF signals, they wouldn't work up an inductor in a smart card. I was thinking that what if the inductor electricity decays at a slow rate or while it's working its inductor powered electronics emit enough electrical signals to mess up my credit cards or USB drives?

Again, paranoid? The electrical reasoning seems sound.

Thanks in advance. If you do have an opinion either way, could you give me some links that refer to this just than your "yes" or "no" opinion?

iwire

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.