Do family and friends ask for free work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

I think it is rude for enyone to expect free work from me except parents. When asked I ask them how i get free stuff from where they work. My sister once offered to take my kids for a weekend for some electrical work, I said I didn't know I had to pay you to see your nephews. I have some friends who I charge very little to when doing work for them.

LawnGuyLandSparky

My brother stopped by yesterday, asked for a receptacle for his Christmas tree, and a switch with a timer. "I'll pay for the stuff." I said sure, I want my yard raked and the pool opened. He looked at me like I had 2 heads.

ultramegabob

Free for Mom and Dad, although Dad tends to do everything himself. luckily the rest of my family live 100 miles away, so they dont even ask. I have a couple of buddies I would help do about anything because they will do the same for me, everyone else has to pay....

hockeyoligist2

Rewire said:
I will not even do free work on my own house.

Yea, I have that problem too! I really need to fix that temp to my tanning bed....

I do my Dads and step Mom's, he's 85, she won't tell me her age.......... I have four brothers, if I get a call from them.....It's Never, "hey how are you, I have some nice ribs come over and eat!" It is always electrical, mechanical, boat, car, tractor, and everything in between. I'm the "MR. Fixit" in the family....I never charge, and they never get a call from me, I find a way to do it on my own.

I quit doing work for friends about 15 years ago. I worked on a friends furnace for free and about a week later he had a problem with his lights in the bedroom. He blamed it on me....... I said OK, fixed it for free and signed off on working for friends......

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Some of my family has paid me to do work. Others in my family ridiculed me for charging them, although the ones paying had no problem. I gave them a really good price, maybe 30% of what it was worth.

I have an aunt who wants to pay me so that I can grow the business. She would never think of trying to get the work for free, in fact she is always thinking of new ways that I can do work for her.

I have an uncle who would probably want me to do the work for free, but he has many resources to offer me that I would gladly do him a favor for.

None of my friends are in a position to need an electrician very often. One friend paid me normal money to upgrade her kitchen. Another friend paid me a little to fix a problem that his landlord didn't have time to fix. I think he got the money back later. Another friend has a hot-tub at the house he rents that needs a new GFI. I'll make him buy the parts and I'll do the work for free because I'll be drinking his beer and sitting in the tub with him and his female roommates by the end of the night.

bikeindy

Rewire said:
I will not even do free work on my own house.

Same here I pay my guys to do it thats the only way electrical work get done at my house. I do all sorts of other things I just can't get motivated to do the electrical.

Jljohnson

My simplified phylosophy on this matter is...... If I feel like you SHOULD pay me to do the work that you are asking for then you are not close enough to me personally to ask for a freebie. I let MY conscience be the sole guide as to who and when I will do free work for. I can guarantee you that the list is pretty short, Close family members and lifelong friends only. My Sister in Law's friends cousin' uncle Fester can call me at the shop and pay full rate.

quogueelectric

Friends get a 25$ rate this keeps away nuisance calls if someone is pulling a favor they still hate to part with money. 200 bucks can go towards an equipment or insurance bill.

tonyou812

Mom and Dad (including in laws) are free, but I don't work for free for others anymore. Many of my family members are lawyers ,accountants and other professional types and I wouldn't expect them to work for free for me nor would they so why should I? Hanging a light or something simple is one thing but wiring an addition or basement is another. I'm not 18 anymore so my free time is valuable to me.

iaov

chris kennedy said:
Its not a problem, its an obligation acquired when I chose this profession.
Spent all day Sat. at my Sister in Laws fixing a sump pump, running conduit for an outdoor light, and putting up new outside fixtures. Spent the last half of today putting a GFIC in my Moms basement and fixing some wiring there that I probably should have fixed ten years ago. I too feel obligated not only because I chose this profession, but also because I had the good sense to choose my wife1:smile:

iaov

I had a great uncle in the plumbing buisiness who believed in charging an arm and a leg to family as they were the least likely to raise a stink about the bill!!:D

hardworkingstiff

My mother told me a couple of things when I was very young.

1. If you have to borrow something a 2nd time, it's time to buy it.

2. You NEVER ask someone to do something for free that they do to make a living.

I think Mom knew what she was talking about. I share this info with anyone that seems to be leading to the "free" electrical work.

iwire

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
Its not a problem, its an obligation acquired when I chose this profession.

So my friend that drives a trailer truck is obligated to truck things for free for me? :cool:

Or if I had a postman friend they are obligated to get me free mail service?

I will not even take free food from my sister in law at her restaurant, I pay full price even though she offers to comp it.

I am really with Lou here

You NEVER ask someone to do something for free that they do to make a living.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
iwire said:
So my friend that drives a trailer truck is obligated to truck things for free for me? :cool:
Oh, I need his number.:wink:

I said they pay materials and permit fee's. I won't charge for my time.

A friend I see mabey once a year has a new lower cabinet ready to install here. He feels he owes me for some work I have do for him in the past. You can be damn sure that I will make him take money for the materials.

It's a slippery slope, if I don't pay him for the materials, I could eat $700 in materials for a service change at his shop next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.