Do I have to drive a ground rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pierre,

As I suspected.

The 'rectification' is an undue burden as there are millions of homes in existence without this provision. Not to mention that disturbuing the foundation will bring back the civil inspector to assure that the structural integrity of the concrete is retained. It should have remained an optional way toe stablish grounding. Not using it presents NO HARM or creates a safety issue.

Why is that that we sometimes we need to know and sometimes we don't need to know the resistance value. Either it matters or doesn't.

In regards to the matter of the GEC being installed at the proper time of construction is really an onus on the building inspector and then the builder.

I also do not completely understand how there is such discrepency sometimes in the NEC.

10' in ground contact

10' in ground contact

If the water pipe is metallic, at least 10' long and in contact with the earth it qualifies as an electrode and must be used. For the reason that you've mentioned, you are required to supplement that water pipe with any other electrode of your choice.

thank you.
Would ground contact including touching though not buried?

Karl H

So what happens when a the electrician arrives at a home construction long after the foundation has been set? Is he required to bust out the concrete to get to the rebar?

Exception: Concrete-encased electrodes of existing buildings or structures
shall not be required to be part of the grounding electrode system where
the steel reinforcing bars or rods are not accessible for use without
disturbing the concrete.

2008 NEC

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
thank you.
Would ground contact including touching though not buried?

Are you asking about ground contact for a water pipe? The requirement is that the water pipe is buried for 10' and supplemented by one additional electrode. If you already are using the CEE then nothing further is required. If the water pipe is later replaced with a non-metallic pipe then the CEE will still provide the grounding electrode system for the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.