Do I need to downgrade my main breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
There's been no mention of changing any wire, just changing the panel due to a bad bus bar. Wire from the service point to the panel clearly needs to be upgraded, POCO probably wouldn't change anything on their side.
I know POCO may not make any changes on there side and not our concern overall.
But Post #12 he stated this:
I know the wires on the drop down pole were also changed by the electrician and the utility guy did something up there, too.
Thus some assumption of wiring upgrade but again OP seems to be unclear as to the service point. Also if indeed an electrician installed a 200A on a #8 wire after the service point should have his license investigated. As a side note doubt a #8 would even be able to be landed on a 200A terminal that normal mfg. size would be min conductor size for the lug of a #6.

729Zoom

Occupation
Retired
So it sounds like the conductors on your side of the service point were NOT upgraded to a 200A rating. This is a very clear and blatant code violation. Any real electrician should have known this. Did a real electrician do this work? The 100 amp and 200 amp breakers will be a different frame size so you can't just swap it out. What you are probably have to do is back feed a 100 amp Branch breaker and use it as your main breaker which is allowed as long as the manufacturer offers a hold down kit for it.
No that is not the case. All the wires on my side were upgraded. The ONLY wire that was not changed is the wire from the utility company pole that connects to the wire at the drop down. I share the same pole with 2 neighbors and we all have the same size wire as do other people on our street. everyone has 100-200 amp panels. I put a call into the electric company to find out why this is the case. The work was done by a large electrical contractor company and the utility company was involved.

729Zoom

Occupation
Retired
I know POCO may not make any changes on there side and not our concern overall.
But Post #12 he stated this:

Thus some assumption of wiring upgrade but again OP seems to be unclear as to the service point. Also if indeed an electrician installed a 200A on a #8 wire after the service point should have his license investigated. As a side note doubt a #8 would even be able to be landed on a 200A terminal that normal mfg. size would be min conductor size for the lug of a #6.
The electrician put in #2 copper wire on my side. And the utility company person did something at the drop down as well, not really sure exactly but remember him up there. It is the wire from the pole that was not changed. but I have 1900 square feet with all gas appliances and drawing very little power so am thinking this is why, as they would know the usage. the emporium vue 3 monitor shows decent voltage on all circuits - 118-120 depending on the time of day. And drawing under 5 amps most of the day with spikes up to 10 amps. I think if I were to draw more than 20 - 30 amps it would be a rare situation. But, I still want to ask the utility to change them. my neighbors are feeling the same way now that I have started talking to them about my concern.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
The wiring from the pole mounted transformer to the “service point”, which it sounds like on your house is the top of the mast, the “weatherhead”, is the utility company’s responsibility, and they have their own wiring standards.

It’s none of your business or concern, and if the POCO allowed an upgrade for a 100A panel to a 200A, and didnt feel the need to upgrade the drop, then it’s fine. They are not likely to come out and change it because you don’t like it. Their engineers like it just fine.

As far as the #2, assuming it’s not actually 2/0, from the weather head to your meter, is governed by the NEC, and I personally cannot conceptualize of a situation where that would be compliant. But I readily admit I don’t yet know everything. I have one more book to read. 👍

No that is not the case. All the wires on my side were upgraded. The ONLY wire that was not changed is the wire from the utility company pole that connects to the wire at the drop down. I share the same pole with 2 neighbors and we all have the same size wire as do other people on our street. everyone has 100-200 amp panels. I put a call into the electric company to find out why this is the case. The work was done by a large electrical contractor company and the utility company was involved.
The electrician put in #2 copper wire on my side.....
Ok well that's better than what was there but is still not 200 amps. #2 CU would be for a 125A service. Like, seven delta said, maybe it's 2/0?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since the NEC side of the service drop has in fact been changed we will have to leave it to the POCO and local authorities to determine if there's an actual problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.