Do you consider this a 2 Gang Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's a pre-ganged box... with cover, it's mostly used for surface mount work. BTW, what's pictured appears to be capable of four devices, though a 2-device cover is probably available. Their okay for surface mount when you have greater than two devices especially with common wiring.

With only one or two devices, it's more common to just use a standard square box with a raised cover (the one in OP is a square box, not a 2-gang box, but rather will hold 2 devices with the appropriate mud ring or raised cover). If you wanted, you could just nipple square boxes together, but a pre-ganged box with cover keeps device 'gang' spacing... but the cover is usually flat, which I don't care for.

Typical gang or gang-able boxes are for flush mount devices, and the device mounts directly to the box, cover to the device.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
That's a pre-ganged box... and its mostly used for surface mount work. Their okay for surface mount when you have greater than two devices especially with common wiring. With only one or two devices, its more common to just use a standard square box with a raised cover (the one in OP is a square box, not a 2-gang box, but rather will hold 2 devices with the appropriate mud ring or raised cover). If you wanted, you could just nipple square boxes together, but a pre-ganged box with cover keeps device 'gang' spacing and looks better in the end.

Typical gang or gang-able boxes are for flush mount devices, and the device mounts directly to the box, cover to the device.
It doesn't look to me like it has device mounting provisions though and likely needs a mud ring or raised cover to attach devices to.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What does it matter whether it is a two gang box or not. I would not call any of those 2 gang boxes but they are capable of being two gangers. And I believe this can also accept a 3 gang trim

Last edited:

growler

What do you plan to mount in these boxes? You normally think of what you need to mount and then choose the correct box and cover.

If you need the extra space ( cubic in )these boxes would have their uses but if you are only going to mount a couple of switches these are going to be expensive.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is one which supposedly will fit
http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalogues/online/comresconstruction/pdf/c1/boxes_12_eng.pdf

AMR3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.