Do You Need a Disconnect for a Furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

I am running 12-2 romex to a furnace in a small utility closet. The Hvac guy said i can hard wire it right in but i thought i might need a disconnect even though the main panel is 5 feet away in the other room. The unit itself has an automatic power shutoff switch when you take off the access panel. Can anyone fill me in? I hope my question is clear enough.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is there a problem with a cord and plug in your area?
Alot cheaper than a DISCO

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Flex said:
I havent thought to look into that. By disconnect i was think 20amp switch. Not a nema rated enclosure.
I always put a sp switch -- it's very cheap and easy... just like me. :grin:

I believe you need a switch if you don't have direct view of the breaker when working on the furnace

quogueelectric

The cieling above needs to be fireproofed so i usually drop down in a piece of 1/2 " emt sleeve to a 1900 steel box and a red mulberry cover with a snap switch that has oil burner disco written on it. Out of the back of the box into the furnace. You should also need a firemans shutoff switch with a red cover plate at the top of the stairs if it is in the basement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
The cieling above needs to be fireproofed .
Holy Cow.
So if i have a gas furnace in a crawl space the entire crawl space needs fireproofing????

Last edited:

satcom

Don't forget some fire requirements want a disconnect placed with access for fire responders, for oil fired furnaces

westelectric

quogueelectric said:
The cieling above needs to be fireproofed so i usually drop down in a piece of 1/2 " emt sleeve to a 1900 steel box and a red mulberry cover with a snap switch that has oil burner disco written on it. Out of the back of the box into the furnace. You should also need a firemans shutoff switch with a red cover plate at the top of the stairs if it is in the basement.
Would you also need the sw. at the top of the base. stairs if it is a gas furnace instead of oil. If not, why not?

tonyou812

Dennis Alwon said:
I always put a sp switch -- it's very cheap and easy... just like me. :grin:

I believe you need a switch if you don't have direct view of the breaker when working on the furnace
I usually just put a switch and outlet on the unit and call it a day. It just makes sense to put it on the unit, and if there there isnt an outlet withing 25 feet of it ill put it on the unit. it really doesnt take that much longer or more money to include the outlet with the switch, and it will satisfy any "cowboy" inspector.

peter d

westelectric said:
Would you also need the sw. at the top of the base. stairs if it is a gas furnace instead of oil. If not, why not?

Only if local codes require it. In general the remote switch is only required for oil burning furnaces and boilers, not gas.

quogueelectric

westelectric said:
I know for a fact that I stock the firemans red switch plate for both oil and gas on my truck but 95% of my installs are oil here.
I am not sure but I have always figured one into any fuel burning device.
I have installed glassbreaks for gas boilers in residences here that the architect/engineer put on prints for me.
Just outside the room the equipment is in.

quogueelectric

Dennis Alwon said:
I have never seen fireproofing above a furnace in a crawl space. I don't believe it is required here for a basement either.
I am certain it would be required for oil. Gas I am not sure of. We are only talking about 1/2 in fire rated sheetrock to comply.

For some reason I've yet to figure out in the Denver area we are required to install an "SSU" which is basically a handy box cover that has a sp switch mounted horizontally in line before a screw in fuse. I've asked several people why this is required and have not got an answer. BTW all gas here, zero oil.

John25

"For some reason I've yet to figure out in the Denver area we are required to install an "SSU" which is basically a handy box cover that has a sp switch mounted horizontally in line before a screw in fuse. I've asked several people why this is required and have not got an answer. BTW all gas here, zero oil."

In the Omaha area the gas utility requires a fused disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.