Do you need clearance for a disconnect switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You could also make the case that the code for clear working space doesn't mention disconnects.

You could also make the case that the AC equipment control and power box needs 110.26 clearance, not just the disconnect.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You could also make the case that the AC equipment control and power box needs 110.26 clearance, not just the disconnect.

Roger
That is true and if you go by the letter of 110.26 you would have to maintain clearance around receptacles. Remember it says 'equipment', which in 100 defines as "A general term....devices....in connection with an electrical installation."

Now 110.26(E) "....Switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor controls...."

Yes, I know it's a word game and yes I'm am playing the devils advocate.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Roger

That is true and if you go by the letter of 110.26 you would have to maintain clearance around receptacles. Remember it says 'equipment', which in 100 defines as "A general term....devices....in connection with an electrical installation."

Now 110.26(E) "....Switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor controls...." But 110.26 says "...shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment...."

Yes, I know it's a word game and yes I'm am playing the devils advocate.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Old news, see posts #17 and 20

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.