Do you still use voicemail? Do you think there's a better alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should also be able to detect marketing calls and tell the caller where to stick it:happyyes:

I think text messaging is fine for sending simple request or simple answer to a question or just an informational note.

What I hate about text messaging is when I am trying to work and someone wants to keep the conversation going, or those that think they have to send a message about what they are doing, what they saw, etc. every few minutes - how the hell do these people ever get anything done. Some days I just leave the phone in the truck and only check it every couple hours for messages or missed calls, or I wouldn't get anything done but mess with the stupid phone.

When can you come? -- A lot sooner if you ever let me finish what I am doing now.

I'm with you. I used to break into my day several times a day to return calls, texts, emails, etc. I've since changed, and I return correspondence once per day, if that. Google Voice is fantastic, and allows me to scan messages real quick in case there is something that is a bona fide emergency.

The only texts I respond to are from customers I already have a positive pre existing relationship with. Voice contact is a crucial way I weed out customers who would be disrespectful, irrational, or just more hassle than their money is worth to deal with. A lot of those cues can't be found in text messaging.

By not jumping on every grenade that comes my way, I also noticed that the delay in response time weeds out price shoppers and tire kickers, so I spend my time with people who want quality work from a reputable and knowledgeable tradesman.

In a sense, ignoring customers has been great for business :D.

I think it's worth re-iterating that having customers schedule their own appointments freely is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard in our industry.

stgga

a good solution

a good solution

We use google voice as well. A nice comprehensive contact solution.

I use Google voice, and when there's a call I can't get to, miss, or phone is turned off, the calls go to my G Voice account, get posted as an email with Google's best voice to text conversion, I get a text of that voice to text translation, and my phone has an app that I can listen or read the v mails. Also my office can see, read, & listen to the v mails as well to help maintain accuracy and efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.