Do you think this meter bank is considered as a large equipment per NEC 110.26(c)(2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zemingduan

Occupation
Electrical Designer
It is a typical residential meter bank(9' L in total), including a 1200amps MCB main service module(20"L) and 3 stacks of meters on one side and 4 stacks on the other side w/ 800 amps horizontal bus.
Do you guys think this meter bank is considered as large equipment (i.e. ratted 1200 amps or more and over 6' wide)? I think the point is that the meter bank is considered as one equipment or separate equipment (main service modules and two-meter stacks).

I am asking this because the electrical room only has one entrance and is not big enough. In this condition, if the meter bank is considered as large equipment, we need double the working space and ask the architect to enlarge the electrical room.

1590079105594.png

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
If it is one assembly then it appears to be Large Equipment. It meets the size requirements, current rating and it contains an overcurrent device.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am initially inclined to say no. If the thing that is rated 1200 amps is not itself over 6 feet wide, but rather has other components adjacent to it with a total width of over 6 feet, then you are not into "large equipment." On the other hand, as Beeches EE said, if it is a single assembly, then that changes my answer. A photo would help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With several sections bolted together to form a single unit over 6' in width it fits the requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is very little electrical equipment that comes over 6' wide in one piece. The widest section in this 4000 amp service is 45". If we discount equipment that is bolted together we might as well get rid of this 6'/1200 amp rule.
Pyramid 4000 Amp Service.jpg

zemingduan

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I am initially inclined to say no. If the thing that is rated 1200 amps is not itself over 6 feet wide, but rather has other components adjacent to it with a total width of over 6 feet, then you are not into "large equipment." On the other hand, as Beeches EE said, if it is a single assembly, then that changes my answer. A photo would help.
Hi Charlie, please see the pictures. It is Eaton residential meter stacks and main service module. Each stack and service module connect with another through the EZ connection. You can see the connection mean from the picture. Do you agree with what infinity says that multi sections connect together like this is considered as a single assembly?
1590084509659.png 1590084587974.png 1590084010055.png

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What is the status of this project? Is it built yet? Is the meter bank already installed in the electric room? If you are still in the design or early construction phase, you can require that the meter stacks be separated from the main service module by some minimum distance. Perhaps Eaton already has a configuration of that nature. I do agree with Rob that if it is all bolted together the large equipment rule would come into play.

zemingduan

Occupation
Electrical Designer
It's still in the design phase. And we are coordinating the utility room size with the architect. I'm gonna ask for a larger electrical room. After all safety first! Thanks for your guys' response!!

Status
Not open for further replies.