Do you use #3 CU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

Where I used to work, they said to not specify #3 cu conductors. For the life of me, I cannot figure why. Is #3 not all that common? Is it a geographical thing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
donw said:
Where I used to work, they said to not specify #3 cu conductors. For the life of me, I cannot figure why. Is #3 not all that common? Is it a geographical thing?

#3 is good for 100 amps. If your supplier does have it you would need to use #2. It is cost effective to have it available. It is certainly is not as common as #2 but it is stocked at our supplier.

Buck Parrish

donw said:

Maybe the OP is talking about #3 romex cu. with grd.
I would use more of it, if it was common.
I've used 2/0 cu romex It's real heavy!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
raider1 said:
Are you sure it was NM cable and not TC cable?

I don't think I have ever seen NM cable larger than #6.

Chris
I have seen 2/0 copper romex. In fact I have a friend who has about 20 feet of it he is trying to get rid of. That was a special order item.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
I have seen 2/0 copper romex. In fact I have a friend who has about 20 feet of it he is trying to get rid of. That was a special order item.

You sure about that? See 334.104.

My guess is your friend has 2/0 CU SE or SER.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
iwire said:
You sure about that? See 334.104.

My guess is your friend has 2/0 CU SE or SER.

You may be right . I saw it this weekend and I thought it was black. I called my friend and he said it may be gray but it is so dirty and it's been so long he doesn't remember.

I do know , for sure, that 2/3 NM with ground exists because I have bought that many times. Regularly stocked here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
crossman said:
I bet it was expensive. Don't despair. Someone told me that #1 scrap would be at $7/lb in less than a year.

If I knew that for sure I think I would stockpile a warehouse of the stuff.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use #3 all of the time. Specifying #2 instead of #3 may lead to a need to up size the EGC

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
While looking over a fire-suppression system to price wiring it, I came across some #6/3 NM with no EGC.

I never heard of it. And it's modern, not old stuff. Even has a UL on it. I may see it again and snap a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.