Dock on the lake with ground current

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Regarding the "NO SWIMMING" recommendation, a very common cause of death is drowning. The current causes a person's muscles to contract, making them lose the ability to use their arms and legs to propell themselves towards the ladder (or towards the shore). I imagine it to be a truly terrifying way to die, given that your mind is screaming at your arm and leg muscles, commanding them to push you to safety, and you realize that they cannot obey that command (the current flowing through their body overrides the command).

Take this warning seriously! Post a sign that says more than, "NO SWIMMING." Add to that sign something along the lines of, "If you swim here, you will die"!

gaspower

I understand and have read several tragic instances of shock induced drowning.

I don’t want to seem flippant but completely disconnecting electrical from the dock (twist lock cable) renders the dock about the same as swimming on a floating log in the lake. It seems like it would be silly to not use the dock (while disconnected) while watching boats go by all day with people in the water in the vicinity of the dock and all the neighbors on our point using theirs?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I understand and have read several tragic instances of shock induced drowning.

I don’t want to seem flippant but completely disconnecting electrical from the dock (twist lock cable) renders the dock about the same as swimming on a floating log in the lake. It seems like it would be silly to not use the dock (while disconnected) while watching boats go by all day with people in the water in the vicinity of the dock and all the neighbors on our point using theirs?
The tricky part is making sure it stays disconnected while the No Swimming signs are down.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That’s fair, it’s a dock for our house, no one uses it but our family. No one else but me is empowered or physically capable of plugging it in (kids can’t reach)
That's all well and good. But the current in the water near your dock could originate from a power connection at some other nearby (or even not so nearby) dock. Get the neighbors involved, hire an expert, and make this go away permanently.

gaspower

That's all well and good. But the current in the water near your dock could originate from a power connection at some other nearby (or even not so nearby) dock. Get the neighbors involved, hire an expert, and make this go away permanently.
Heard Charlie!
Making calls today. Thank you and everyone else for the help here! I'll be sure to report back once this is concluded.