Does 680 Apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am going to look at a pond installation at a retail facility. It looks as though the pond is for test-driving canoes and stuff. That qualifies it as a swimming pool in my opinion. Thoughts?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That article has a specific definition for "permanently installed . . . pools," and it is very clear. If it's inside a building, it fits the definition, regardless of water depth, and regardless of whether there are any electrical circuits involved. So I would say yes.

raider1

Staff member
George, how is this "pond" constructed?

It may be more in line with an artificially made body of water in accordance with Article 682.

Artificially Made Bodies of Water. Bodies of water that have been constructed or modified to fit some decorative or commercial purpose such as, but not limited to, aeration ponds, fish farm ponds, storm retention basins, treatment ponds, and irrigation (channel) facilities. Water depths may vary seasonally or be controlled.

Chris

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It is part of an outdoor landscaping design. I believe it is going to be built like a pond. It is going to be about 65' x 65', in a general Y shape. I did verify today at the walk that it is going to be in service three seasons and they will be floating boats on it. It will be about 3.5' deep.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The ultimate question- when does a pool become pond or when does a pond become a pool?

I vote article 682 esp. if it has a dirt bottom

raider1

Staff member
It is part of an outdoor landscaping design. I believe it is going to be built like a pond. It is going to be about 65' x 65', in a general Y shape. I did verify today at the walk that it is going to be in service three seasons and they will be floating boats on it. It will be about 3.5' deep.

Then IMHO it would be an Artifically made body of water and Article 682 would apply.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
What everyone says sounds right to me. But and I say but, if it is a gunite pond I may lean back towards 680 because it really doesn't fit the description in 682.

pfalcon

680.2 is explicit in the pool definition. I don't believe the description given by the OP qualifies - swimming, wading, immersion, therapy. I also don't see where indoor makes it a pool rather than a pond.

682.1 says that the 682 code section is the fall-through if you can't fit the body of water into any other code section. 682.2 says commercial purpose not limited to the examples.

I go with 682

Status
Not open for further replies.