Does a sub-panel "reset" voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeast

New User
Occupation
Finance
I am looking to run power to a shed located 175 feet from my main panel.
In between the main panel and the shed there is a sub-panel. This sub-panel is about 110 feet from the shed.
I am trying to figure out the appropriate gauge wire in my circumstance. My home is 120 volts, and I will be using 20 Amp.

To calculate the wire distance, should I be using the full 175 feet, or should I be using the 110 feet from the sub-panel. Or are there more factors at play, such as the wire connecting the main to the sub?

I am leaning toward an 8/2 wire at this point, is this correct?

As extra information I plan to run a small computer, small ac, and lights in the shed. This should never use more than 1300 watts in the most extreme circumstances.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We are closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking report at the lower left hand corner of the post

------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.