Does anyone know what year was 408.41 was introduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arazu

Thank you for the quick reply.

It seems the local general practice of doubling neutrals has been a violation for a long time?

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I used to always put the neutral and EGC of same NM cable in same hole in service panels. Thought that worked pretty well until they came up with that rule. I didn't like neutrals of different circuits in same hole even before that rule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It was added to the NEC in 2002 but was not permitted for decades before that by the listing of the panel. It was only added to the NEC to make people more aware of the requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
It was added to the NEC in 2002 but was not permitted for decades before that by the listing of the panel. It was only added to the NEC to make people more aware of the requirement.
You are probably right - panel instructions likely still didn't allow it.

Had an inspector back before then (actually is still around) that was always picking on little things that nobody ever pays attention to, somewhat surprising he never picked up on that one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You are probably right - panel instructions likely still didn't allow it.

If you go back to the 2002 ROP you see that they added the wording directly into the NEC because most installers didn't know about the listing issue.

kwired

Electron manager
If you go back to the 2002 ROP you see that they added the wording directly into the NEC because most installers didn't know about the listing issue.
Seems if it was a listing issue they should have added a FPN that mentions/references the listing requirement instead of adding an actual code requirement. But what do I know about writing code?

Status
Not open for further replies.