Does anyone pay attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Again I will point out that electrical work is not rocket science, and that a good "mechanic" who's done residential work should be able to learn the basics of bending pipe, running MC cable, working with heavier tools and hardware, and operating things like lifts in short order.

But I certainly understand that a commercial-only company does not want the headache or hassle of transitioning a worker from residential to commercial work.

brian john

There is no type of work I won't try and can do it all (SO FAR). I think it depends on the person and their mechanical aptitude.

It is all pretty basic, till you get into controls and/or speciality work.

Worked with a guy that only did residential he bought a bender and couple 100 feet of 1/2 emt spent a week trying to learn. He took a commercial job and no one was the wiser. It is amazing how many electricians do mediocre pipe bending , his mark to shoot for was not all that high.

Did a gas station remodel years ago I sat down and read the NEC over and over asked questions of a few electricians that had done a gas station, got through it.

IMO a good electrician should try different things, move around through their career. IF THE MARKET ALLOWS. Our apprentices transfer every 12 months. Seldom get residental expierence.

Last edited:

cadpoint

I was just "carpeted" on the Exact wording of my previous reply.

Word for word, no it doesn't say that, But I think you could say that after reading and in summary I'm not out of line.

http://www.ncbeec.org/modules/content/index.php?id=8

For North Carolina :

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]87-43. Electrical contracting defined; licenses.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Electrical contracting shall be defined as engaging or offering to engage in the business of installing, maintaining, altering or repairing any electric work, wiring, devices, appliances or equipment. No person, partnership, firm or corporation shall engage, or offer to engage, in the business of electrical contracting within the State of North Carolina without having received a license in the applicable classification described in G.S. 87-43.3 from the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors in compliance with the provisions of this Article, regardless of whether the offer was made or the work was performed by a qualified individual as defined in G.S.87-41.1. In each separate place of business operated by an electrical contractor at least one listed qualified individual shall be regularly on active duty and shall have the specific duty and authority to supervise and direct all electrical wiring or electrical installation work done or made by such separate place of business. [/FONT]

electricmanscott

peter d said:
Again I will point out that electrical work is not rocket science, and that a good "mechanic" who's done residential work should be able to learn the basics of bending pipe, running MC cable, working with heavier tools and hardware, and operating things like lifts in short order.

But I certainly understand that a commercial-only company does not want the headache or hassle of transitioning a worker from residential to commercial work.
All 100% true, especially the rocket science part. As I have been told by many a customer, "this sould be easy" or "it's not a big deal" etc...

peter d

electricmanscott said:
All 100% true, especially the rocket science part. As I have been told by many a customer, "this sould be easy" or "it's not a big deal" etc...

Yes, there is a difference between a job requiring mental skill and requiring time. Even "easy" jobs take time, a point that many people fail to understand as you said.

tonyou812

I personally think its easier making the move from residential to commercial. There alot more restrictions when you wire a house as opposed to a commercial space. Ive seen plenty of "commercial only" EC make a lot of JV mistakes. like improper outlet spacing, three rows of romexes on a stud, poor smoke placement.
Working with mc/bx is really not that much different than romex. The only thing the commercial guy has over a resi guy is pipe work.

brian john

I have said this before and do not want to hurt any feelings. BUT I feel an apprentice worth his salt had better be able to wire a house after 6 months of working with a GOOD mechanic, if not he should move on to another trade.

NO WAY YOU CAN DO THAT GOING COMMERCIAL.

But a good residential mechanic should be able to figure out his way around the job in short order. Especially with a decent boss that takes a little time with him. And a good commercial mechanic should easily be able to do the same.

There are a handful or rules in the NEC that pertain STRICTLY to houses and all the rest of the NEC is either residential and commercial* or all commercial.

* Commercial with a broad stroke anything not considered residential.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

khixxx said:
You need to keep an open mind, You blow of a guy then 3 years down the road he is one of the best foreman's in the industry, but he doesn't work for you or may never will do to your attitude. Not saying your a very bad bad person :)

Honestly I don't think it's that big of jump to go from Residential to commercial.

Look at it this way, Keep their contact info for future use. Best of luck.
You are delusional if you think you can jump to commercial that easy.

brian john

I think you can jump either direction. As I noted several times here, but you will need to work hard to make it happen. From NM to a MC job should be simple. NM to EMT harder.

khixxx

quogueelectric said:
You are delusional if you think you can jump to commercial that easy.

I started in Commercial as a jman. Went to industrial. Got my license, did some moonlighting work on homes. Yes it was backwards However it's amazing what you can accomplish when your back is to the wall, and you want to be successful.

iaov

IMO an industrial electrician probably gets the best training to go into either res. or comm. They bend pipe, rmc,emt,imc. They hang cable tray. They pull wires. They are very familiar with all types of switch gear and transformers. They also solve problems. The one area where industrial electricians tend to be weak is Code.

iwire

Staff member
iaov said:
IMO an industrial electrician probably gets the best training to go into either res. or comm. They bend pipe, rmc,emt,imc. They hang cable tray. They pull wires. They are very familiar with all types of switch gear and transformers. They also solve problems. The one area where industrial electricians tend to be weak is Code.

Of course the fact that you are an industrial electrician has not had any influence on your opinion. :D

jrannis

iaov said:

Sorry, Ive found the industrial and guys have a really tough time migrating to commercial work and really dont see how they could stomach residential work.
Ive had industrial guys that can weld, operate equipment, splice cables and all sorts of cool stuff but wouldnt touch a house.
They thought EMT was a joke, I didnt have the heart to show them MC cable much less Romex, they would have thought it was tray cable.:grin:

tonyou812

brian john said:
There is no type of work I won't try and can do it all (SO FAR). I think it depends on the person and their mechanical aptitude.

It is all pretty basic, till you get into controls and/or speciality work.

Worked with a guy that only did residential he bought a bender and couple 100 feet of 1/2 emt spent a week trying to learn. He took a commercial job and no one was the wiser. It is amazing how many electricians do mediocre pipe bending , his mark to shoot for was not all that high.

Did a gas station remodel years ago I sat down and read the NEC over and over asked questions of a few electricians that had done a gas station, got through it.

IMO a good electrician should try different things, move around through their career. IF THE MARKET ALLOWS. Our apprentices transfer every 12 months. Seldom get residental expierence.
couldn't have said it better myself. When I had to do a White castle years ago I did just that. Bought myself a stack of 1/2 EMT and did my own basement in pipe, just so I wouldn't look like a idiot when the job started and it paid off.
It really has everything to do with the individual, Even control work is basically just a compilation of switches when you really break it down. You just need to understand how everything relates to one another

peter d

I made the move from residential to commercial a few years back. The most commercial work I did prior to making the move was run a little MC, I didn't bend anything more than 1/2" EMT, and small amounts of it at that, a little bit of fire alarm work, and I once tore apart a motor starter that was 3-phase on a machine that was being moved, and had no clue how to reconnect it. Ooopps ! (first month in the trade)

I was thankful to get the opportunity to work for a large commercial contractor as I learned about a whole new aspect of the trade.

I started in Commercial as a jman. Went to industrial. Got my license, did some moonlighting work on homes. Yes it was backwards However it's amazing what you can accomplish when your back is to the wall, and you want to be successful.

That is funny you said that , that is exactly how the trade happened for me also with going to school 2 nights a week for the trade. But when i look back on it would not change it for nothing even though it was rough at times but to have the experince in Resi., Comm., and Indust. is something no one can take from you.

ohm

I've been on large industrial jobs where a good conduit man did nothing but conduit, wire pullers pulled wire, and terminators terminated. Then designers and engineers, who had been on the project for two or more years did check-out and start-up. The hands-on guys were all called electricians but only a few terminators could read a wiring diagram or do residential work.

Status
Not open for further replies.