Does BDA system fall under Fire Alarm

designer82

We prepared the electrical & fire alarm drawings for a project and the contractor seems to think that we should be responsible for the technical review of the BDA system as it falls under Fire Alarm.
Would you agree with this?
Thanks

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Responsible to Review & Accept for engineer's approval the BDA system drawings that the contractor prepared.
This would so much depend on the the plans and specs that your company probably wrote. Our company would not bid a job that includes the BDA prior to building since the design totally depends on the radio characteristics of the building after it is constructed. That said, I have entered in to contracts where the plans and specs call for the Fire Alarm contractor to produce Stamped drawings and contracts where the Electrical Engineer is the Engineer of record. The BDA would fall under the same type of consideration.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This would so much depend on the the plans and specs that your company probably wrote. Our company would not bid a job that includes the BDA prior to building since the design totally depends on the radio characteristics of the building after it is constructed. That said, I have entered in to contracts where the plans and specs call for the Fire Alarm contractor to produce Stamped drawings and contracts where the Electrical Engineer is the Engineer of record. The BDA would fall under the same type of consideration.
This is an evolving area, and there is a great deal of confusion as to who is doing what to whom in this field. Smart alarm companies are jumping on the band wagon, and either getting the training and licenses necessary or partnering with someone who can handle that side as well as the equipment. The alarm company typically handles the installation and may even sub out some of that to an electrical contractor. Whoever prepared the drawing bid set and specs for the contractor to bid should be responsible for the design review.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This is an evolving area, and there is a great deal of confusion as to who is doing what to whom in this field. Smart alarm companies are jumping on the band wagon, and either getting the training and licenses necessary or partnering with someone who can handle that side as well as the equipment. The alarm company typically handles the installation and may even sub out some of that to an electrical contractor. Whoever prepared the drawing bid set and specs for the contractor to bid should be responsible for the design review.
I 100% agree, but perhaps my point was buried in that, if the OP were trying to place the onus back on the Electrical Contractor, that would need to be spelled out in the contract documents. Otherwise it is on the EE.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I 100% agree, but perhaps my point was buried in that, if the OP were trying to place the onus back on the Electrical Contractor, that would need to be spelled out in the contract documents. Otherwise it is on the EE.
We had a fire alarm vendor come give us a lesson about this once. I do not believe the EE can make the design for a BDA system. The design would require too much with measuring/designing for RF signals, and i don't know an MEP engineering firm who is capable of that. If it is determined that the building is required by code to be fitted with a BDA, and authorized agency should be providing the design.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In this context, Bi Directional Amplifiers (RF) designed to allow reliable communication between first responders' (primarily fire) handheld radios at any two points in the building.
See https://hbtmkto.honeywell.com/Honeywell-BDA-systems.html
As stated earlier, predicting the coverage in detail before the building is completed is difficult to impossible.
Nailing it down does depend on the as-built conditions, but vendors are willing to offer turn-key solutions off the design drawings as long as there is good information regarding construction and finish materials. Something as simple as low-E glass can be very important.