Does Disconnect Meet ESR Requirements and Where to buy Square D Configuration

LA-Sean

Occupation
General Contractor
Hello All,

Had a meeting with the Utility planner yesterday. And presented the Main Panel Configuration that was created by EE. The Planner said that they would approve the project so long as the Main Disconnect complies with the Schematic [315 EUSERC. See ESR-3, Figure 3-10 (Displayed Below)]. I have lost me EE during this project and kind of been on my own. As you can see the attached Drawing, we are planning to install: Square D - EZM1400CBU - Main circuit breaker unit, EZ Meter-Pak, 400A, 120/240VAC, 1ph/3W, 400A bus, 100kA, UG, Type 3R.

Question: How can I tell if the Main Disconnect Square D - EZM1400CBU complies with the Schematic [315 EUSERC. See ESR-3, Figure 3-10 (Displayed Below)]?

Attachments

• EUSERC Drawing that must be met.jpg
    EUSERC Drawing that must be met.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 23
  • My Proposed Square D Configuration.jpg
    My Proposed Square D Configuration.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Square D-Panel Configuration by EE1.jpg
    Square D-Panel Configuration by EE1.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 22

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would send it to Square D and see what they say. A switchboard manufacturer might also have the answer.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The EZM1400CBU does meet EUSERC requirements but I have to ask why is your electrical contractor and their Square D distributor not dealing with this?

LA-Sean

Occupation
General Contractor
The EZM1400CBU does meet EUSERC requirements but I have to ask why is your electrical contractor and their Square D distributor not dealing with this?
Unfortunately, I selected the wrong subcontractor. He has been of no help at all. I am going to have to select a new provider. But just don't want to lose any more lead time then I already have on this project. I have lot of negative things to say about him. But like my mama said. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."

I do have a follow-up question for you:
I was evaluating the Configuration provided by the EE versus other options on the Square D website. The EE's Configuration is about $3K more expensive than what I found. Please see attached price Comparison. I also used a screenshot to put together how my configuration would look like (Please see attached).

Question 2: Is my Configuration Valid?

Question 3: Where can I purchase this configuration? When I go to the Square D website it provides sources of purchase but no one seems to have any stock. I don't really know where to get this equipment. I am located in Los Angeles. Do you guys know any sources I can hit up?

Attachments

• Main Panel Configuration Comparison.jpg
    Main Panel Configuration Comparison.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 6
  • My Proposed Square D Configuration.jpg
    My Proposed Square D Configuration.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 6

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unfortunately, I selected the wrong subcontractor. He has been of no help at all. I am going to have to select a new provider. But just don't want to lose any more lead time then I already have on this project. I have lot of negative things to say about him. But like my mama said. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."

I do have a follow-up question for you:
I was evaluating the Configuration provided by the EE versus other options on the Square D website. The EE's Configuration is about $3K more expensive than what I found. Please see attached price Comparison. I also used a screenshot to put together how my configuration would look like (Please see attached).

Question 2: Is my Configuration Valid?

Question 3: Where can I purchase this configuration? When I go to the Square D website it provides sources of purchase but no one seems to have any stock. I don't really know where to get this equipment. I am located in Los Angeles. Do you guys know any sources I can hit up?
The meter stack in your second option is ringless and does not meet EUSERC requirements.

This type of equipment needs to be configured by a local Square D distributor. The online pricing is 100% meaningless. You need to find an EC that deals with a Square D distributor. Or if they primarily work with the supplier that is a Siemens, Eaton or GE/ABB distributor the same equipment can be crossed over.

So you lost your EE and EC?

As far as finding multi metering equipment in stock, Good Luck! I have not ordered any the past few months but since Covid it has been 6 month to a year lead time minimum. Also many distributors will favor their good regular customers over a random customer which can extend lead time indefinitely.

LA-Sean

Occupation
General Contractor
I received the below Quote from a supplier today (Please see below). They are basically charging a 50% Premium on the Equipment (A Bit unfair, if you ask me), but they have the equipment in stock and can deliver next week. I feel like I am being held hostage due to the Shortage of equipment and really don't have the budget to overpay. I contacted like 20 Distributors in my area any only 1 or 2 got back to me and gave me crazy lead time like 6 months, 3 Months, and 12 months in some cases. Not sure what I should do. Are these prices unreasonable? Any advise?

Attachments

• Square D Configuration-Disconnect, 4Pack, and 2 of 3 Packs-$7,915.34.jpg
    Square D Configuration-Disconnect, 4Pack, and 2 of 3 Packs-$7,915.34.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14

JoeStillman

Six months is a pretty short lead time for a meter center. The last few we designed were more than a year. In a couple of cases, the service was small enough that we could redesign it with individual meter sockets and disconnects, just to speed up the job. Over about 1000A this becomes impractical.

LA-Sean

Occupation
General Contractor
I just hate being overcharged. It just feels wrong to pay Double for something just because there is a shortage and people are trying to skim off the top. Feels like I'm living in the 3rd World again. Black Market for everything.

Electrical Gear

New User
Occupation
Electrical Supplier
I received the below Quote from a supplier today (Please see below). They are basically charging a 50% Premium on the Equipment (A Bit unfair, if you ask me), but they have the equipment in stock and can deliver next week. I feel like I am being held hostage due to the Shortage of equipment and really don't have the budget to overpay. I contacted like 20 Distributors in my area any only 1 or 2 got back to me and gave me crazy lead time like 6 months, 3 Months, and 12 months in some cases. Not sure what I should do. Are these prices unreasonable? Any advise?
I’ve got meter stacks and main disconnects available if you still need some.