Does electrical testing require PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickcham

I have a issue where the electricians were looking for a fault using a 1000V megger on deenergized condustors, the circuits were locked out but the electricians were not using any PPE. I say they should or had at least class 1 gloves during the testing. I look up in NFPA and could not see a clear reference to this.
Any thoughts??

Thanks
Rick

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Have the electricians involved hold on to the ends of the megger leads while you turn it on and afterwards ask them if they need gloves.

Last edited:

WorkSafe

The circuit isn't really deenergized if they are introducing voltage to the line from the megger and/or the megger test leads, thus, this would apply:

OSHA 1910.333(a)(2)

"Energized parts." If the exposed live parts are not deenergized (i.e., for reasons of increased or additional hazards or infeasibility), other safety-related work practices shall be used to protect employees who may be exposed to the electrical hazards involved. Such work practices shall protect employees against contact with energized circuit parts directly with any part of their body or indirectly through some other conductive object. The work practices that are used shall be suitable for the conditions under which the work is to be performed and for the voltage level of the exposed electric conductors or circuit parts. Specific work practice requirements are detailed in paragraph (c) of this section.

1910.333(c)(3)(ii)(A)

The person is insulated from the energized part (gloves, with sleeves if necessary, rated for the voltage involved are considered to be insulation of the person from the energized part on which work is performed),

zog

Several years ago I sent a letter to OSHA looking for clarification on this, the response was yes the same PPE requirements apply when doing megger/hipot testing as if the circuit was energized and the cited the same sections Worksafe quoted above.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Several years ago I sent a letter to OSHA looking for clarification on this, the response was yes the same PPE requirements apply when doing megger/hipot testing as if the circuit was energized and the cited the same sections Worksafe quoted above.
Not likely to have an Arc Flash problem though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.