Does EMT provide a 2 hour rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For the most part, wiring methods suitable for the type of construction are permitted in 2HR fire-rated walls. The wiring within the walls is not expected to outlast a 2 hour fire... but the wiring method is expected to not reduce the 2HR rating of the wall itself. Of greatest concern is penetrations that would permit fire advance quicker into the wall than if there were no penetrations. Fire blocking any wall penetration is what matters most.

iwire

Staff member
The 20 second figure I gave came from a UL film I saw about testing MI cables. They pointed out that EMT with THHN inside was good for about 20 seconds when the EMT is subjected to the same test as MI.

cppoly

Thanks, I guess the reply with the 20 second rating answered my question. Just was curious about any type of cable in EMT. Same for RGS? Conduit does not give a rating to a cable right.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks, I guess the reply with the 20 second rating answered my question. Just was curious about any type of cable in EMT. Same for RGS? Conduit does not give a rating to a cable right.

Are you concerned with how long the cable will last or the structural fire rating associated with an EMT raceway?

The cable inside is likely not lasting very long unless the raceway is encased in concrete or other thermal barrier.

The raceway is allowed to penetrate a 2 hour wall - usually with proper sealing around the penetration, but the conductors inside will likely deteriorate if that 2 hour wall is pushed to it's thermal limits.

cppoly

A requirement for fire alarm cable riser cable in NYC is to be 2 hour rated. I was trying to see if by putting the fire alarm cable in EMT, would the entire fire alarm cable considered 2 hour rated now this it is enclosed in conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A requirement for fire alarm cable riser cable in NYC is to be 2 hour rated. I was trying to see if by putting the fire alarm cable in EMT, would the entire fire alarm cable considered 2 hour rated now this it is enclosed in conduit?

Clearly 100% NO!
But if you, for some reason, put compliant cable like MI inside EMT it will remain compliant.

mike1061

Why didn't you say that in the first place. The original question was very unclear.
Thanks
Mike

ron

We live that requirement and it is weird how it generally gets ignored. We specify the MI product, but often gets accepted as regular NYC rated fire alarm cable in EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.