Does Fixture Cord need to be #12gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lbartowski

If it's over 6' long? I have linear pendants and the factory provided whips aren't long enough.

I need to replace them with longer cable, and they'll be over 6' long.

I appreciate your feedback.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are planning to use flex as a raceway to the jb then imo, #12 is needed assuming the circuit is 20 amp. Of course all strapping and support rules would apply

Lbartowski

Thanks. It is a 20 amp circuit. I'm replacing the factory provided white pendant cord with a longer white cord or "luminaire cable".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Oh, not sure that is OK..... You are messing with the listing of the product. I would check with the authority having jurisdiction before I did that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The answer may lie in some details we don't have but make sure on look at 410.62 to assure your install complies.
As Dennis points out, altering a factory fixture with cord may change the game plan as 410.62(C)(1)(c) no longer applies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you could replace the cords I would just use the same gauge as the existing cords.
I post reluctantly as anytime I disagree with you I turn out to be mistaken :)
that said, IMO, if you replace the cord with anything other than a factory replacement and use a size not meeting the requirements of 400.5(A), you would no longer comply wit 240.5(B) and per 410.62(C) you would need to have cord & plug connections.
What am I overlooking ??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I post reluctantly as anytime I disagree with you I turn out to be mistaken :)
that said, IMO, if you replace the cord with anything other than a factory replacement and use a size not meeting the requirements of 400.5(A), you would no longer comply wit 240.5(B) and per 410.62(C) you would need to have cord & plug connections.
What am I overlooking ??
I'm saying replace it with a longer factory cord.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When you say "factory provided whips" are you talking about bare cords or wires in a flexible raceway?
When thinking of using same guage wire as original, determine whether they are using a smaller guage than expeted by using a listed fixture wire type.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
OP says a linear pendant..... a #12 3-conductor cord isn't going to fit in the KO. And also they're usually snapped in with one of those oval shaped plastic connectors.

You can get regular 3-conductor pendant cord on the internet from a variety of lamp shops. I've went through manufacturer reps in the past to get them to send me 5-conductor pendant cord when its the dimmable LED linears, if that's what you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.