Does NEC allow grounding by soldering to pcb's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GymSok

Article 250.8(B) states: "METHODS NOT PERMITTED: Connection devices or fittings that depend solely on solder shall not be used".
I have been designing many pcb circuits whereby I solder a power-entry-module (IEC320 type, 120vac) to a pcb, then with traces, carry the earth ground to other solder connectors to feed power to loads. All my pcb designs have met UL and CSA req'ts.
Does this practice violate above NEC article because I use solder to make ground connections ???

[pcb = printed-circuit-board, or printed-wiring-board]

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think the NEC would apply to your piece of equipment however for it to be installed legally it would need a third party testing lab to approve and test it.

GymSok

Thanks Dennis for comment. UL/CSA does test circuit - I believe they apply about 30 amps to incoming/outgoing ground path, ensuring no excessive heating (solder/traces not melting, etc).
Now I need to convince colleagues that tis meets NEC.
I think NEC meant, for example, that heavy wires that may be bonded to pipes or clamps may be welded, but not soldered. Wish they explicitly allowed pcb soldering for grounding.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks Dennis for comment. UL/CSA does test circuit - I believe they apply about 30 amps to incoming/outgoing ground path, ensuring no excessive heating (solder/traces not melting, etc).
I think NEC meant, for example, that heavy wires that may be bonded to pipes or clamps may be welded, but not soldered. Wish they explicitly allowed pcb soldering for grounding.
Wish all you want, but connections to a PCB, with some exceptions like the terminals of alarm or HVAC systems, are not considered field installed building wiring.
So the NEC is not going to say what is permitted when it is not covered by the NEC in the first place!

iwire

Staff member

It does not meet the NEC, it does not have to, the NEC does not apply to it.

Please see 90.2(A) while keeping this definition from article 100 in mind.

Premises Wiring (System). Interior and exterior wiring, including power, lighting, control, and signal circuit wiring together with all their associated hardware, fittings, and wiring devices, both permanently and temporarily installed. This includes (a) wiring from the service point or power source to the outlets or (b) wiring from and including the power source to the outlets where there is no service point. Such wiring does not include wiring internal to appli-ances, luminaires, motors, controllers, motor control centers, and similar equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.