Does receptacle spacing requirement recognizes outlet for the wall mounting TV set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin Kim

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am working on a small bedroom arrangement and I have a receptacle outlet at about 50" level where a TV set will be mounted.
I also have outlets on both left and right sides of the TV receptacle outlet each 12 feet apart from the TV receptacle.
I am wondering if it is code compliant because 210.52 requires receptacles in addition to any receptacle that is part of a luminaire or appliance.

Code reference: NEC-2017, 210.52(A)(1)

fishin' electrician

You're good at 50".

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section shall be in
addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with
210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (51∕2 ft) above the floor

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
While this may comply with the letter of the law, I believe it violates the intent.

The combination of every inch of a baseboard being within six feet of an outlet and most devices having a six-foot cord eliminates the need for extension cords. Unless you think this receptacle behind the TV can be used for lamps and other random devices, or that a six-foot cord will reach to any point along the baseboard from an outlet four feet above the floor, it's a violation of the intent.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It may be code legal to not put a receptacle under the TV, but it certainly would be a better design. It's likely the HO will have a dresser or equipment cabinet under the TV with some additional equipment like a cable box, DVD player, lamp or alarm clock. (Some people put their alarm clock out of reach from the bed to force them to get up.)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It may be code legal to not put a receptacle under the TV, but it certainly would be a better design. It's likely the HO will have a dresser or equipment cabinet under the TV with some additional equipment like a cable box, DVD player, lamp or alarm clock. (Some people put their alarm clock out of reach from the bed to force them to get up.)
It seems to me that once you meet bare minimum code you are into design choices. I am inclined toward the idea that it is hard to have too many receptacles. However, cost is always an issue.

It seems to me that the code mavens have dealt with this issue by allowing the receptacle to be 5.5 feet above the floor and still count. That seems to imply they considered the issue and decided it was not a safety problem.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Agree as long as its below 5'5" it satisfies Code.
Surprised it has not been addressed as it is similar to the "appliance garage" rule in that the receptacles is not "convenient".

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Agree as long as its below 5'5" it satisfies Code.
Surprised it has not been addressed as it is similar to the "appliance garage" rule in that the receptacles is not "convenient".
90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the
practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards
arising from the use of electricity. This Code is not intended as a
design specification or an instruction manual for untrained
persons.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper
maintenance result in an installation that is essentially free
from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or
adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea why the receptacles are placed that far apart. The only useable receptacles are 24' from each other. Bad design IMO. It may be compliant but it is a bad layout.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am working on a small bedroom arrangement and I have a receptacle outlet at about 50" level where a TV set will be mounted.
I also have outlets on both left and right sides of the TV receptacle outlet each 12 feet apart from the TV receptacle.
I am wondering if it is code compliant because 210.52 requires receptacles in addition to any receptacle that is part of a luminaire or appliance.

Code reference: NEC-2017, 210.52(A)(1)
I don't see how this is compliant if the TV outlet is 12 feet from the nearest outlet. if it was 6 feet, I would buy it.

Or do you mean that the outlets to the left and the right of the TV outlet are 12 feet apart, which would be compliant.

D

Dell3c

Article 210.52 (A)(1)
The applied wording, not saying 6' from receptacle device, to next receptacle device.

Neither does wording of 210.52(C) Countertop and Work Surfaces, say that countertop surfaces shall be 24" apart from receptacle device, to the next receptacle device.

That's not the intent of placement.

kwired

Electron manager
While this may comply with the letter of the law, I believe it violates the intent.

The combination of every inch of a baseboard being within six feet of an outlet and most devices having a six-foot cord eliminates the need for extension cords. Unless you think this receptacle behind the TV can be used for lamps and other random devices, or that a six-foot cord will reach to any point along the baseboard from an outlet four feet above the floor, it's a violation of the intent.
The six foot rule been there a pretty long time, they could have changed it if intent wasn't being met.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

The Code doesn't say anything about "every inch of baseboard," so I don't see how a receptacle at 50" above the floor would be a violation of that intent.

If you have a table lamp with a 6' cord sitting on a table exactly between two receptacle outlets spaced 12' apart that are 18"aff, the lamp cord isn't going to reach either receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.