Does the code say and where? Running (or) passing home run feeders through Emt for a dwelling unit, through another dwelling unit?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When you have town homes or condos, you can't do that without getting an easement from the other owner...something I would never give if I was the other owner.
What if the unit wasn't sold until after it was completed?

The builder/developer was the owner, and it passed inspections.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have heard of one owner cutting the other sides SER cable in their unit and not allowing entry to fix it. Said to run a new one outside the building.
If that happened to me, I would sue for it to be repaired. (How did they cut it safely?)

Whether the builder or the neighbor, someone is restoring my power.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Of course I have. I have no idea how you are concluding that.
So, I should have said "every structure that stands alone is one or more buildings." How's that?

There's the usual divisibility question here, in that if you take a structure and mentally divide into two pieces, you have two structures. But when I say "a structure" I mean a maximal connect component of such, not just part of a structure. The same would apply to "structure that stands alone," and I was assuming such maximality in my previous statement.

As to "stands alone" I take that to mean that there's some region around the boundary of the structure that is devoid of structures, and if we removed all other structures outside that region our structure would be unaffected in its stability.

Anyway, the NEC definition of building is goofy, as if I drive an isolated wood post into the ground, that's a building.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I'd consider it to be a structure, especially if you mount electrical equipment to it, but not a building.
The definition is clear:

"Building. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."

If your post stands alone, it's a building per the NEC.

Cheers, Wayne

The definition is clear:

"Building. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."

If your post stands alone, it's a building per the NEC.

Cheers, Wayne
Ok if I provide the following definition:

Almond: a type of nut that has a brown outer covering.

You cannot conclude that all nuts with brown outer coverings are almonds. There are other types of nuts that have brown outer coverings and are not almonds.

Would you prefer the definition say this:?

"Building. A type of structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So all building codes apply? Foundation, insulation, roofing, etc?
No, because those building codes have their own definitions of "building" and would not call the post a building. But the NEC does.

For reference, the IBC definition of "Building" is "Any structure utilized or intended for supporting or sheltering any occupancy." Which raises the question "what is an occupancy?" The IBC doesn't have a definition for that, but Chapter 3 is "Occupancy Classification and Use," so I expect that Chapter would explain.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ok if I provide the following definition:

Almond: a type of nut that has a brown outer covering.
Then I would tell you that to the extent "type of" is referring to some further unspecified conditions, it's an incomplete definition. Fine for a dictionary, not for a legal code.

Would you prefer the definition say this:?

"Building. A type of structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls."
I would not, because it's incomplete. If you object to the NEC considering a post a building, then the correction to the NEC definition needs to specify what further features are required to be a building.

Cheers, Wayne