Does the ground and neutral strap in a main panel need to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinky

Occupation
Electrician
I have a GE Power Mark Gold 200 amp main panel and someone said that I needed to remove the strap going from the ground bar to the neutral bar. Is that correct?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a GE Power Mark Gold 200 amp main panel and someone said that I needed to remove the strap going from the ground bar to the neutral bar. Is that correct?
Many reasons you would or wouldn't, such as what jusme123 posted. What are the circumstances of the install?

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The question is more properly, is it the service disconnect. For instance my "main" panel is not the service disconnect in my house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it is the main panel that contains the main disconnect then you need the bond between the equipment grounding conductor and the neutrals. It also must be bonded to the box

Twinky

Occupation
Electrician
I had already taken it out and put my egc on one side with the bonding screw and the grounded conductor (neutral) on the other bus bar.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On the utility side of your main disconnect, there is no EGC. Everything to be grounded is bonded to the neutral.

In your main disconnect enclosure, the neutral is grounded for the last time, the electrodes land, and the EGC begins.

After your main disconnect, the neutral is insulated from ground, as would a line conductor be, except for no OCP.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had already taken it out and put my egc on one side with the bonding screw and the grounded conductor (neutral) on the other bus bar.
I don't understand what you're describing, you say it's not a sub panel then you say it's not the service disconnect but it's your Main Panel, do you have a service disconnect some where else?

Roger

Twinky

Occupation
Electrician
Are there 4 conductors run between the service disconnect and the main panel, or are the conductors between the service disconnect and the main panel in a metal raceway?
4 conductors run between the service disconnect and the main panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
4 conductors run between the service disconnect and the main panel.

All of this could have been avoided if you had the terminology correct. Once you leave the service disconnect then you separate the neutrals and equipment grounding conductor. Sounds like you did that

Status
Not open for further replies.