Does this exist????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Is there a SPST switch/toggle/button that fits into a 1/2" threaded KO?

I am looking to install a switch in a WP single gang box, but it's installed inside.

It will have 15mA at 24 vdc on it.

If you have any ideas that would simplify adding a switch to a surface mount box, please post them here or PM me.

This is related to my door closer conundrum.

Volta

Not that I can think of, but maybe something by Edwards Signalling.

Check out the 59, 620, or 690 series. Mostly snap-in for 5/8 hole, but with some adapters to 3/8 NPT it might work.

nhfire77

Not that I can think of, but maybe something by Edwards Signalling.

Check out the 59, 620, or 690 series. Mostly snap-in for 5/8 hole, but with some adapters to 3/8 NPT it might work.

If I had non threaded holes those would be great.

I could just drill a hole in the side of the box and add one. I am looking for a cleaner, quicker way.

nhfire77

you can't just install a 120v toggle switch ?

I can, I am looking for one that fits into the threaded ko, a door holder is mounted to the front of the box. I mentioned the the rating only for reference. There is a door holder to be mounted on the front of the box

Last edited:

Volta

If I had non threaded holes those would be great.

I could just drill a hole in the side of the box and add one. I am looking for a cleaner, quicker way.

Well it is possible that this is a quick way, for the installation. But you would need to buy one, and go to a local lighting store and rummage around to find a reducing bushing from 1/2 to 3/8, and there is a chance that this would fit well. It might not, it's just an idea.

nhfire77

Well it is possible that this is a quick way, for the installation. But you would need to buy one, and go to a local lighting store and rummage around to find a reducing bushing from 1/2 to 3/8, and there is a chance that this would fit well. It might not, it's just an idea.

I didn't see one that was 3/8", which series was it?

nhfire77

Are you looking to provide a door release for each resident's hold open?

Yes.

It will address two things:

Lessen the chance of wall damage from the door being pulled shut.

90 year old frail lady having trouble pulling it shut while being held open.

Volta

I didn't see one that was 3/8", which series was it?

Didn't exist. They mostly or all are made to snap into a 5/8 hole. But the threads of a 3/8 nipple may be tight enough to hold it securely. Or there might be some other insert that will help to hold it securely.

Now that you are in the realm of custom solutions you will need some creative assembly thinking. Or drill seventy 5/8" holes.

nhfire77

Didn't exist. They mostly or all are made to snap into a 5/8 hole. But the threads of a 3/8 nipple may be tight enough to hold it securely. Or there might be some other insert that will help to hold it securely.

Now that you are in the realm of custom solutions you will need some creative assembly thinking. Or drill seventy 5/8" holes.

I will need some new drill bits:(

kwired

Electron manager
Nipple to another box and install a regular switch in that box?

May want to consider a NC momentary pushbutton so it releases the door when pushed but is energized again after releasing the switch.

nhfire77

Nipple to another box and install a regular switch in that box?

May want to consider a NC momentary pushbutton so it releases the door when pushed but is energized again after releasing the switch.

That's plan B. I'm going to let the customer pick the design, show them both let them pick.

nhfire77

Found one that may work. You may need FD boxes rather than FS, as the switch body might extend 1-3/4" into the box. Cat . No. 850 UL recognized.

Try an Edwards 854. DC current, 4 amps @ 24 volt.

Well that's awesome. I'm gonna get one to look at it. It will fit in my boxes being used.

Thanks Volta.

If anyone else has another part or thoughts keep em coming.

EDIT:

Holy crap the switch is like $30 on google. The door closers are $46!!!!!

Last edited:

Volta

Well that's awesome. I'm gonna get one to look at it. It will fit in my boxes being used.

Thanks Volta.

If anyone else has another part or thoughts keep em coming.

EDIT:

Holy crap the switch is like $30 on google. The door closers are $46!!!!!

:grin::grin:
Darn capitalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.