Does this meet the definition of a receptacle outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Because the terminals are the "outlet" and are the end of the premises wiring.
Sounds 100% analogous to a NEMA 5-15 receptacle in a single gang wall box. Here it's a weird proprietary receptacle in surface mount junction box. Both are receptacles and receptacle outlets.

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It's a 120V receptacle, but is it rated for 15A or 20A? If not, it's not covered by 210.52, so 210.52(B)(2) would provide it on the SABC.

Cheers, Wayne
I did not look up the UL listing.

I liken it to the contactor line terminals in an AC compressor wiring compartment.

Again, what would you call the joining connectors in hard-wireable/linkable under-cabinet lights?

You enter one with NM cable, and link the rest with the 18ga jumpers. Where is the outlet?
They concluded it was the round thing the red arrow points to.
I think the inspector missed it on the rough inspection, knew they would just switch to a cord and plug install and gave up since these LED under cab lights only draw miliamps.
But it sets a precedent.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Looks to me like the box and cable are an integral part of the under cabinet light assembly, no different than the detached driver that connects via a cable and connector to a wafer light. Just because a cable plugs into it doesn't make it a receptacle.

However, it would be considered an outlet.

-Hal

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A yoke is not a defined term in the NEC or UL. So anyone could call the plastic case the yoke.
There are hundreds of terms not defined in the NEC but I think that we all know what a receptacle yoke is as mentioned in the NEC and the photo in the OP ain't it. Like Hal stated this is similar to the cord connector on a wafer light that doesn't have a yoke either.

Last edited:

eagleelec

Occupation
Electrical Sub Code official, Electrical Contractor
We should pay close attention to the grey wording in the 2017.

1653653235513.png

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The was added because of the locking support and mounting receptacles that are permitted by the code.
Ahh thats it, good catch.
So in 2017 they added the "or for the direct connection
of electrical utilization equipment designed to mate with the
corresponding contact device" part.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
These linkable LED's can be installed anywhere out in the open, under a kitchen cabinet, in a bathroom, in closets, above upper cabinets, cove lighting anywhere a homeowner wants to install these.

I liken it to the contactor line terminals in an AC compressor wiring compartment.
The reason these are not like a contactor in a AC unit is in theory a homeowner could plug any number of lights into a sting, or cut a spare cord and put a USB charger at the end of a run. Its more like a permanent surface 'wiring method' than a lighting outlet to me.

Again, what would you call the connectors built into the ends of hard-wireable/linkable under-cabinet lights?
Thats what these are. I never thought much about these until it was argued they could be on a SABC. I have always put them on a 15A lighting circuit.
You enter one with NM cable, and link the rest with the 18ga jumpers.
Yes
Where is the outlet? Are the sockets in the lights considered receptacles?

Please note: I am not arguing in the angry sense. This is a lively and friendly discussion to me. :)
Same here

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I would say not a recp outlet.
Read hard wired 14-2.
I would say it can not be on one of the two required kitchen recpt circuits. I would also conclude a tap of 14-2 could not be used unless it's a luminary tap. The #14 ground would be a violation. So I would say a lighting outlet supplies this product. Then it can be hooked up to #12-2 on a 20 amp OCD. They only thing I don't like is it does not come with a power cord. So not sure if I could run 14-2 to it as a tap. This may need to be on a 15 amp circuit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220528-150200.png
    Screenshot_20220528-150200.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.