Door Hold Open Magnets between 2 buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Door Mags

New Door Mags

When you have 2 connecting buildings and want to install door mags to hold open the doors what do you do? My choice seems to be, tie both smoke detectors into building "A"and add signage to the smoke in building "B" or tie each smokes into each building where they are located. Help Please

Is there a smoke / heat vent exhaust system?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
In this case the class D circuit applies between the FA unit to the relay. The relay must be within 3 feet of the door holder in the tunnel.

21.2 General. 72–106 NATIONAL FIRE ALARM AND SIGNALING CODE

21.2.4* A listed relay or other listed appliance connected to the fire alarm system used to initiate control of protected premises emergency control functions shall be located within 3 ft (1 m) of the controlled circuit or appliance.

21.2.6 The installation wiring between the fire alarm control unit and the relay or other appliance shall be Class A, Class B, Class D, or Class X in accordance with Chapter 12.

I am pretty sure that the door holder circuit isn't a protected premise control function. The circuit that disconnects the door holder is. The door holder can be a 120 volt circuit. As far as I know, the open door is a desire and/or a courtesy, not a code requirement. If it was a code requirement then they would have to come up with some way to leave the door open during a fire.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am pretty sure that the door holder circuit isn't a protected premise control function. The circuit that disconnects the door holder is. The door holder can be a 120 volt circuit. As far as I know, the open door is a desire and/or a courtesy, not a code requirement. If it was a code requirement then they would have to come up with some way to leave the door open during a fire.

While true, the requirement, as I recall, doesn't provide an exception if the circuit is fail-safe. The relays still need to be within 36" of the device being controlled.

Door Holde Releaser Emergency Control Function for Egress

Door Holde Releaser Emergency Control Function for Egress

Chapter 21 Emergency Control Functions and Interfaces
21.1 Application. The provisions of Chapter 21 shall cover the minimum requirements for the interconnection of emergency control functions to the fire alarm system and emergency communications systems in accordance with and 21.2.1 through 21.2.3 and 23.8.1.1
21.8 Door Release Service.
21.8.3 All door hold-open release and integral door release and closure devices used for release service shall be monitored for integrity in accordance with Section 21.2.
21.8.4 Magnetic door holders that allow doors to close upon loss of operating power shall not be required to have a secondary power source.

At least that is settled. The only thing that make it a Protected Premises is the listing of the FA Unit or the permit presently issued to the owner. If door holders are added then the OP has to figure everything else corresponding to his post in the beginning of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.