Doorbell transformer/clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncat

Occupation
Electrician
I just installed my first doorbell transformer in my crawlspace. I installed it on top of an octagon box attached to a floor joist. There is about an inch between the transformer and the wood joist. My question is, is this enough space. I can install it on the side of the box but I didnt because the transformer is heavy and i didnt want i pulling on the box. But i could throw in a few more screws to secure it more. I am a 4th year and have my test scheduled in a month. I do believe everything is fine, I would just like some input to quell my over thinking mind. Fires scare the **** out of me.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I never saw a doorbell transformer heavy enough to stress a properly mounted box. Do we now have mega doorbells?

Ncat

Occupation
Electrician
Old house with old box. I did end up reisntalling the doorbell on the side of the box and threw in an extra screw. I just originally thought it would pull on the box more than it actually did. I mean doorbell transformers are pretty heavy imo. It was just a question. I did just pass my jw first try so im not incompetent. But when youve been literally doing only one line for 2 years straight and no branch i guess you get a little rusty on things you may never have done before.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
FWIW our doorbells are both battery operated. No wiring required. We have lived in this house for almost three years without needing them to be changed. But no big deal when we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.