doorbell transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Where are you residential guys installing your doorbell transformers? I dont know where the source was, but I think I remember someone saying you may NOT install a doorbell transformer in an attic. That is where we install ours. Is this against the NEC? I worked for one company who would have us install a 2 gang box in the hallway of the house and just set the doorbell transformer inside the 2 gang box and then mount the chimes over the box. Was this ok by the NEC? Thanks in advance.

mdshunk

Re: doorbell transformer

I'm not sure how you'd install a chime transformer in a two gang box without having the low voltage and line voltage mixed in the same box. I suppose you could pop a knockout in a box barrier and do it that way.

I have seen manufacturer's instructions on one brand of chime transformer that prohibits mounting in the hot ambient of the attic. The brand I currently use is okay for the attic.

Very recently (per a tip from a fellow electrician), I've been putting a label inside the panel cover as to the location of the chime transformer. This might help the next guy out to save some searching time when the xfmr goes bad.

luckyshadow

Why not put it right at the panel ?
I have put them in a knockout on the bottom left side or on the recept. mounted below the panel.

redfish

The low voltage and line voltage are both connected to the transformer right? I think a two gang box behind the chime with a divider separating the line and low voltages to best of your ability is the most practical for me. Why scatter all the components of the doorbell system all around the house? How many of you guys have spent too much time tracking down a transformer? However, to each his own. :)

mdshunk

Originally posted by luckyshadow:
Why not put it right at the panel ?
I have put them in a knockout on the bottom left side or on the recept. mounted below the panel.
That's great when you don't have a flush panel.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

MDS: I was going to ask, how can you do that and still access it? :D I didn't think of a surface-mounted panel.

Wayne: Thanks! I thought I had read that somewhere, and couldn't find it again.

The chime is directly associated: Umm... A cheerful doorbell is linked to a warm, comfortable home. See Article 423: Feng Shui for the Electrician. :p

luke warmwater

Here's the one at My Parent's Florida home.
This one was installed about 2 years ago when this house was built. I don't know the company who wired it, but they had numerous electrical problems.

url]

[ June 25, 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: luke warmwater ]

torcho

Hey guys, this is my first post, so bear with me. Great forum by the way. Take a look at this, I've seen these at Lowe's. The box is designed to separate the line voltage and low voltage via a small passage on the nail flange side of the box. On trim, the chime unit mounts directly over the box/transformer. Looks pretty good to me, and it says it's UL listed.

Heath/Zenith

mdshunk

I don't think I'd use that product, but I'll have to remember it. Ten years from now when I can't seem to find the chime transformer, I'll have to remember to look behind the chime itself. Thanks for the head's up.

physis

Let's see if I can get it to post Todd.

[This used to be Todd's image]

That's better. I think it was the space after the "" tag.

mdshunk, I like the idea of marking the location in the panel. I don't know if I'd think to look there though. :D

Maybe under the doorbell you could put a note to look in the panel. :D

Edit: I took the image down because it's size is changing the page width. You can reduce the size with the edit function in photobucket Todd. It's pretty easy. I use it a lot.

[size="1"][ June 26, 2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: physis ][/size]

aelectricalman

We mount ours on a keyless light in the basement, on the light in the furnace room. Not on the furnace. Sometimes, to the panel if the panel is away from areas of future finishing. It is not code to put them in the chime box, divider or not. There is too much heat build up, hence the reason for the 3/8" connector on the side of the XFMR. To mount on the outside of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.