doorchime transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Does anyone know of a brand of doorchime that has a 1/2" locknut to hold the transformer instead of that dreaded single set-screw?? The brands that my supply houses stock all have the single screw type, but I know that I've seen the ones with a locknut. Todd

pacscott

Re: doorchime transformers

I do not know what chime kit has the xfmr you are looking for in it, but you can order the transformer separately from Angelo Brothers Company, which has recently changed it's name to Westinghouse Lighting Corporation. Angelo and Westinghouse part # 76180.

hurk27

Broan Door bell kits have this type of transformer but the secondary voltage on broan door bells is 16vac not 10vac as in edwards or 6vac in others. so you will have to use the bron chime that comes with it

luke warmwater

Thanx guys. The ones we've been using are Nutone. Our supplier said that Nutone bought Broan and that they were probably the same. I'll check with a different supplier to see if i can get the Broan. Todd

luke warmwater

Bob, the ones in our chime kits just seem to be flimsy. The set screws never grab correctly and we're always having to bend and fiddle with the bracket to get the screw to grab. I figured the locknut type would be easier to install and old better, but I could be wrong...

iwire

Staff member

I am sorry if you thought I was saying you were wrong I was just curious, I have not touched one in a while and as with most things they may be made cheaper (flimsy) than before.

I see the ones you want for control transformers in 40 VA size, but the cost may be to much.

tim

Todd, your right about the set screw. Up untill a few years ago, Nutones set screw type worked just fine. They seem to have cheapin them up lately. Also, Nutone quit putting thier 101T transformer in thier chime kits and replaced them with a 515T transformer. Chime just doesn't go ding dong as loud anymore. :roll: :roll: :roll:

[ May 24, 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: tim ]

Status
Not open for further replies.