Doorway Class 1 Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Waiting on the engineering drawings but trying to head off a problem. Paint mix area, Class 1, with an overhead rollup door. The motor and contrils are outside the room itself. Is there normally a "halo" around door openings in Class 1 or is that specific to paint booths, etc.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Waiting on the engineering drawings but trying to head off a problem. Paint mix area, Class 1, with an overhead rollup door. The motor and contrils are outside the room itself. Is there normally a "halo" around door openings in Class 1 or is that specific to paint booths, etc.
Mixing alone does not usually introduce a classified location. Then again, "Class 1" only applies to Article 725; paint spray booths are usually Class I;). (Sorry Augie, I had to do it to someone.)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No problem.. In this case I'm just the messenger and thats the way it was presented to me :D
I may continue to put foot in mouth but you are already aware that Hazardous is a weak area for me so...
Generally speaking, other than Art 516, would you expect the area around the door to a classified area to be classified also, or is that too broad a question ?

Situations vary a lot, making any generalization hazardous (ha - pun).

Generally speaking, and based solely on NFPA 497 guidance (without a lot of thinking), I would say:

- If there is a Div 1 inside the door, and the door is opened as part of any expected activity (no matter how infrequent), the outside would also be Div 1;

- If there is a Div 1 inside the door, and the door is not opened as part of any expected activity (no matter how infrequent), but can be opened, the outside would be Div 2;

- If there is a Div 2 inside the door, and the door is opened as part of any expected activity (no matter how infrequent), the outside would also be Div 2;

- If there is a Div 2 inside the door, and the door is not opened as part of any expected activity, but can be opened, the outside is still Div 2.

Obviously situations vary a great deal, but a rule of thumb would be a Div 1 hazloc would extend outside the door to a 3'-5' radius in all directions; Div 2 might be up to 15' all directions.

I'm not saying that the paint mixing operation would actually give rise to any hazloc, but if it did, the above would be a reasonable first approximation.

Status
Not open for further replies.