Double Check Service size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Residential service home size is 4500 SQ feet GC states 2-ton central air units all gas appliances 1 jacuzzi tub mike holts calc tells me min service is 150A My plan is to do a 200 Amp 120/240 does this sound right ? Input appreciated. The reason I ask is had an other Ec state that the home needs a 300 Amp service.

ITO

4,500 sf with a 2-ton A/C... hmmm that does not sound right. Granted I live in a warm state but I am used to seeing 5 to 7-ton units in 2,000 sf homes.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i'm thinking he meant there are at least two 2-ton AC's. What is the KW of the AHU's? With two 2-ton's and the jacuzzi tub, a 200A is good. The other EC may have calculated two 10kw AHU's; then the minimum would change to 225. But I doubt they have two 10kw's. Better double check though.

SmithBuilt

I agree you would only be required a 200 amp service.

But sell them the 300 amp service and make a little more money.

In the future they may need it to charge their electric cars. And if natural and lp gas continues to rise electric strips may not be all that bad.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
brantmacga said:
What is the KW of the AHU's? With two 2-ton's and the jacuzzi tub, a 200A is good. The other EC may have calculated two 10kw AHU's; then the minimum would change to 225. But I doubt they have two 10kw's. Better double check though.

Are you're asking about electric heat? Around here electric heat is far too expensive and not typically installed to heat an entire house.

Jerseydaze

Jerseydaze said:
Residential service home size is 4500 SQ feet GC states 2-ton central air units all gas appliances 1 jacuzzi tub mike holts calc tells me min service is 150A My plan is to do a 200 Amp 120/240 does this sound right ? Input appreciated. The reason I ask is had an other Ec state that the home needs a 300 Amp service.

Ok it is 2-5 ton units

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
infinity said:
Are you're asking about electric heat? Around here electric heat is far too expensive and not typically installed to heat an entire house.

Yes electric heat. I think someone's mention before its too expensive up there, but I don't remember these things! :D

I might be able to name two people down here that have gas furnaces. Just not common here. As a matter of fact, years ago (before my time) the poco's were giving away all the materials for services on homes to get people to switch to electric heat and stove. They retained ownership, but gave you the panel, breakers, etc. . . at no charge. I did a couple of service calls when I was an apprentice on these services and the POCO paid for the repairs because they technically still own it. The stuff they'd given out under this program had labels inside indicating it was their property. anyway. . .

gndrod

electric heat strips

electric heat strips

Hi Jersydaze,

One of the first things is to find out what the Climate Zone is in the project location. If the State has energy requirements, that will dictate heatpump sizes and heat strip minimums needed. Most heatpump backup strips come in 5 and 10 kW sizes for most brands purposely for dual element staging. Depending on your climate zone, equipment per
location will vary. So ask an HVAC sub their take for heating needs and go from there.

The house design also dictates what size those heatpumps are going to be, old method of sf and volume are being changed to State energy envelope design sizing that includes glazing, wall thicknesses, insulation factors, all for determining space environment conditioning. A 4500 sf vaulted ceiling house in the CA high country would need around a 4.5 to 6 ton system for both heat and cooling efficiencies that won't break the bank. I found it is harder to cool than heat a house using heatpumps in certain areas.

I hope this helps. rbj

Last edited:

bikeindy

infinity said:

Here electric heat will cost you about half of what gas cost. Me I have both Electric and gas ranges water heaters and heat.

bigjohn67

Service Size

Service Size

Just remember that the POCO will only supply you with what they feel is the load. You may charge them for a 320 but the POCO may not give it to you.
Then what? Lots of explaining to do.
Just cover your bases with the POCO before selling a larger service they may not supply and the customer expects.

Nothing like a 500mcm stem with a 1/0 hooked to it from the POCO.

Jerseydaze

Ok so can someone check the load calc and recomend service size.Also I have never done a service over 200 amp in pse&gs guide I keep seeing 320amps is this the next standerd size service ? I could use some design help with a 300 amp service .

iwire

Staff member
Jerseydaze said:
Ok so can someone check the load calc and recomend service size.Also I have never done a service over 200 amp in pse&gs guide I keep seeing 320amps is this the next standerd size service ? I could use some design help with a 300 amp service .

The next standard meter socket above 200 is a 320.

That is rated for 320 amps continuous and 400 amps non-continuous.

Using that meter socket you can make any size service between 201 and 400 amps.

shelco

4500 sq ft house 2 five ton units
do the calc but it is comon parctice here to just go 400 amp service w/ 2 200 amp panels unless there are unusual elect loads.
400 amp service will not add that much more to the cost vs 200 and the homw owner has room for additional loads with no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.