Double sheetrock thickness and 3+gang mudrings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So let me ask this: If it is a rated wall, what would work for a three gang and larger opening? You cannot set the box further out and cut out the first layer and there are no metal extensions. (2) 4-11/16" connceted by conduit gapped for two cover plates?

Remember in a rated wall you can't have a three gang or larger. You're limited to 16 square inches of opening which is a 4x4 and you also cannot use a tiger grip box, which was brought up, as the box has to be secured to the structure.

Allied makes a plastic three gang box that is rated, but other than that I don't know how you would accomplish it. I believe they make single gang rings up to 2", I can't believe they don't make larger ones that deep. A lot of guys that rope rated buildings are starting to use the Adjust-a-box.

Now as to the original question, I still don't know if it's two layers for sound or two layers for fire, but two layers of drywall should always send up a red flag.

One more edit. I missed the post where you stated this is not a rated wall. So I just gave you some good information, but not much help. : )

I also want to clarify my answer with this diclaimer that I haven't used in quite a while, I'm answering this question based on what I think and not what I know. If I was looking at the installation, I could give a better answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.