doubling on circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Fred, assuming the conductors are the correct size, I don't see anything wrong. As far as there being two conductors on the SQ D QO breakers, they are listed and labeled for this.

Roger

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Some breakers are listed for use with two wires. If it is not marked on the breaker seek out the mfg. web site and it should be on there. Some are even listed specifically for use with stranded and solid under the same tab.

Yours looks like it may be designed for one or two wires.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yup last time I checked Sq D QO were rated for two wires. This gets those home inspectors every time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If one of the wires is stranded and the other solid , then you would have a problem. In either case I find it easier ti just out a pigtail and wirenut the wires together-- one under the breaker. Trying to prove an older panelboard being compliant may be an issue. If this is new then it would be easy to find the info.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Dennis Alwon said:
If one of the wires is stranded and the other solid , then you would have a problem. In either case I find it easier ti just out a pigtail and wirenut the wires together-- one under the breaker. Trying to prove an older panelboard being compliant may be an issue. If this is new then it would be easy to find the info.

The issue is with the breaker lug not the panel. The wire capacity is stamped on the side of the QO breaker, they (10-30A) have been rated for two conductors for about forty years.

Brady Electric

doubling on circuit breakers

I do as Dennis does to keep from having to explain
Its amazing how every inspector reads the code different
Every breaker is not rated for doubling up but some are
I have the most trouble with home inspectors who don't know so instead of arguing the point I just pig tail
Semper Fi Buddy

dnem

K8MHZ said:
Some breakers are listed for use with two wires. If it is not marked on the breaker seek out the mfg. web site and it should be on there. Some are even listed specifically for use with stranded and solid under the same tab.

Yours looks like it may be designed for one or two wires.

When you say "under the same tab" are you referring to a breaker with a "foot" or tiny plate attached to the lug screw ? . Or possibly to plates that squeeze together ?

I was under the impression the the breakers that drive the screw tip down onto the wire are single wire only rated.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
dnem said:
When you say "under the same tab" are you referring to a breaker with a "foot" or tiny plate attached to the lug screw ? . Or possibly to plates that squeeze together ?

I was under the impression the the breakers that drive the screw tip down onto the wire are single wire only rated.

Maybe clamp would have been a better term.

As far as what is rated what, that is up to the mfgr. and should in print somewhere, either on the breaker or on the website.

480sparky

JohnJ0906 said:
At the angle the pictures were taken, the visi-trip red might be visible even with the breaker on.

True, but then most of them on that side would be visible as well, wouldn't they?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
For the breakers shown (this is the same for NQ types) refer to Table 1.3 on this page for the terminal wire limits

Roger

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

480sparky said:
True, but then most of them on that side would be visible as well, wouldn't they?

If one breaker sits the slightest bit off the rest, it can show like this- I have seen it, where you only see 1 or 2 at the right angle.

I'm not saying it is so in this case, but I have seen it several times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.