Downlight Support

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Not sure of anyone would be familiar with this. THese are getting installed in a gyp board ceiling. Would support bars( in addition to the fixture) be need to install this fixture in the ceiling?

1690465218621.png

1690465367429.png

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Yes. The easiest way that I have found to install them is to use short pieces of EMT and span the top of the truss with them. There is a wingnut on the inside of the housing that will allow for adjustment to raise and lower if needed.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Yes. Look at your rough frame specs. It gives you a few options.
On a personal note, I hated the fact that an architect/designer comes up with a half assed design and requires the field techs to make it work! 😀

Ron

John A

Occupation
Inspector
As Rick0920 said, EMT works. Back in the day this was the 'designer choice' type fixture by Lightolier. They did make 'bars', but it was a PITA if you didn't order them at the same time as the housings.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
To be honest I really don’t follow the supporting of those fixture . How and where does it need supporting ?where does the emt go? Is it just because it’s in a gyp ceiling ? Would it require it if on a 2x2 acoustical ? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can use short sections of black iron or fixture bars to support those fixtures.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
How and where does it need supporting ?where does the emt go? Screenshot_20230727_183624_Chrome.jpg
where I show orange lines in the photo
Is it just because it’s in a gyp ceiling ?
not because of gypsum, per se. just for support from steel framing regardless of ceiling finish

Would it require it if on a 2x2 acoustical ?
I have, then drill holes in the grid and tie the emt down (and hanger wires)

There are different positions for supports.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
where I show orange lines in the photo

not because of gypsum, per se. just for support from steel framing regardless of ceiling finish

I have, then drill holes in the grid and tie the emt down (and hanger wires)

There are different positions for supports.
Thanks. It's still hard for me to tell how these get applied.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. It's still hard for me to tell how these get applied.
See the orange circles? There are round slots in the frame. Pick upper or lower 2 holes and run a 20-inch long or so 1/2 inch emt through, and rest it on top of the steel studs at the right height. Then 1-hole straps screwed down to secure them.

On the other side of the can it's identical Screenshot_20230727_205222_Chrome.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the ceiling supported by T-bars or Chicago bar (hat channel)? Depending on what it is will determine how the fixture frame is set. This is a T-bar system. IMG_20230728_061652132.jpg

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm not sure. The archs don't seem to show which is unusual. Isn't that framing for an acoustical ceiling? My situation is a gyp board ceiling.
But it is the same concept, only instead of the support bar resting over the T, you use self tapping screws and secure the bars to the vertical face of the studs.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So how would one know to order support bars with these? Now my vendor is sticking me with an extra charge to supply them and there's a lot.
Do you think they should've come with the fixture? THere's some info under "rough-in frame" section but I'm not clear on it.

1690833504263.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So how would one know to order support bars with these? Now my vendor is sticking me with an extra charge to supply them and there's a lot.
Do you think they should've come with the fixture? THere's some info under "rough-in frame" section but I'm not clear on it.
You never answered the question as to what type of ceiling system they're using for the Sheetrock.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
From there site
Thank you . So is it possible that the ceiling framing (as infinity referenced) could support the fixture or it’s 100% a support separate of that?

IMO it looks like the manufacturer is referencing a support by others(either EMT or a channel)and not something they sell.