Downsizing neutral?

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
True, but not everyone uses a cable at all times. They do make raceways and individual conductors.
I was only trying to confine my questions and comments to the situation that the Discussion Starter laid out of 3 Feeders off of a 200 ampere Service. I saw no likely advantage in installing raceway to supply any any of the 3 panels because of the increased labor and material costs.

So unless a local amendment or code required raceway its use seems unlikely. He seems to have a duplex. Each unit and the "House Panel" gets a metered feeder from a single service. The feeder ampacity of each of the dwelling units will be the greater of it's calculated load times 0.83 or 100 amperes times 0.83. The feeder to the "House Panel" will be it's calculated load.

Given that these are feeders the panels can be located at any otherwise code compliant location in the dwelling unit. I don't remember if the occupants of each unit must have access to the units Service Disconnect but I would think that they would because it is a disconnect that supplies only their unit.

Tom Horne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I’m very confused the company I work at downsizes the neutral for sub panels and pool pre wires. Is that ok to do? For example today we ran a 80 amp circuit for a pool. 2-#4 copper, #6 copper for the neutral and #8 for the ground
What is the voltage and type of system?
I never downsize the neutrals if its a 3-wire 'open wye' 120/208 fed from a 208Y/120.
120/240 split phase I do.