drawer plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Haven't looked at one in a while, but seems around 30-40 watts is pretty typical.

That don't sound like a lot, but watt density of a heating element is what determines how hot it gets. Some soldering irons are only 7 watt, but it is primarily focused on a small point and still gets really hot.

Yeah, I've got a light-weight 15 watt iron for electronic work. Just about enough for PC board work and about zero left over. It still gets plenty hot, as I've found out a time or two. :ashamed:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yeah, I've got a light-weight 15 watt iron for electronic work. Just about enough for PC board work and about zero left over. It still gets plenty hot, as I've found out a time or two. :ashamed:

I have a couple. I have had several over the years. They will burn wood, but not catch it on fire. The old 'wood burner' sets were basically 15 watt solder irons and some wood.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a couple. I have had several over the years. They will burn wood, but not catch it on fire. The old 'wood burner' sets were basically 15 watt solder irons and some wood.
One of the things that can cause electrical fires is the long duration carbonization of wood which eventually lowers the ignition temperature, letting a fire start.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Sounds to me more like a user problem...

Exactly, phone charger, razor charger, etc. wanting to plug in while in a drawer I can understand, but wanting to leave something that's primary function is to create heat left plugged in while being stored in a drawer, cabinet, etc where other combustible items may also be stored is pretty much an application for a Darwin award.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Whatever you install its best to use a closet door type low voltage relay rated for 20A to kill power to outlet if draw is closed.

so the person needs the drawer open to use it.
and what is going to keep the cord from being pinched?

Either way a bad idea for a curling iron. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.