drawn on plans but not required

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchleg45

If items such as standard smoke detectors are drawn on a plan for a commercial buildout (Salon) and the commercial space already has a fire detection system per NFPA 72 complete with an FACP and the tenant decides that he does not want the additional non-required smoke detectors can the inspector insist that they be installed? or pay the engineer to re-draw the plans

boater bill

The inspector will typically enforce the code requirements first, then the plans requirements second. If the plans exceed the code requirements, then probably the plans would typically be enforced. Each inspector and jurisdiction has their own expectations and requirements. The best thing is to open a dialoge.
The inspector never pays to have the plans redrawn, they are the AHJ.

Hope this helps

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think it makes a difference whether the plans had to undergo an approval process with the AHJ, before construction was allowed to begin. If the AHJ had approved the plans, and if you now want to change what is shown on the plans, I think you will need to get approval for those changes. Much depends on the nature of your company?s relationship with the engineering company. If the engineering company has a contract to provide the owner with support during the construction period, then it would include some type of design change process. You could submit a Request for Information (RFI) or other form of communication, to initiate the change. But you can?t make a change without some type of approval. ?The client says they don?t want . . .? is a good reason for a change, but it does not constitute approval of that change.

bphgravity

It really depends on how great the difference is between the as builts and the approved plans. On residential projects, minor changes in receptalce and lighting outlet location is of little concern if compliance with the code is mantained.

On commercial projects, I would usually request a revision to be submitted showing all changes simply for the purposes of having accurate office copies of the project. In some cases, the design professional indicates on the plan notes or spec sheets that any and all changes require prior approval of the design professional or the owner. In this case, a simple letter indicating changes can be submitted in lieu of revised plans.

In any case, consult with your local AHJ for their exact policy and procedures. In the event compliance with the plans as submitted is required, hopefully you bid the job accordingly.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Charlie.

As a plan checker I often question why an engineer is doing something, but I figure that's what he wants since I was once told by a large engineering firm, "that's what we drew, that's what we want." So of course as an inspetor that thought carries over.

Now that doesn't mean that they ever went out to the site to see what was there already and might not realize that the detectors were already installed.

Now again as an inspector I may very well agree with you, but it's not up to us to change the plans. If the engineer approves the change then I usually don't have any problem with it. It can be in a letter form or a new set of plans depending of course on the magnitude of the change.

mayjong

we also require a letter from the property owner , approving the changes(in addition to the changes being approved by the designer and us)
can you guess why?
we had a builder tell us "the owner wants to delete this" and then, at final, we get the call "how come this isn't there? it's on the plan..."
needless to say, we don't like to go to court!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Mayjong, makes a good point, it could have be that it was requested by the owner. No need to tell the contractor, because if he bid the plans they way they were drawn there should be no problems weather it's needed or not.

Another point I forgot to make, is that plans become a leagle document and we keep commercial plans and trac plans forever. So if something were ever to happen, it's very important that the plans match the job and visa versa.

I'm of the thought that a job should never be bid until it has gone through plan check.

pfalcon

And don't forget the bureaucratic aspect. If this is a franchise salon then changes may have to be sent to the home office, approved on five levels, redrawn, and sent back out in a couple months. Or they go cheap and timely by making you put them in.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.