Drilled holes in joist in residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: Drilled holes in joist in residential.

As many as you want. Who is saying there is a limit?
There is a new rule in the 2005 NEC for top plates with NM cable sealed with sealing foam. Are you referring to this new rule?

mdshunk

43... no that's not right. 7... no that's not right either. One... maybe, or maybe 4.

Who knows? Depends on how big the hole is and how much aggrivation you want.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

To expand on Jim's post, what type of inspector are you?

Roger

highkvoltage

Our inspectors allow holes no larger than 7/8" in a 2 X 4 and no more than 3 wires. In a floor joist no holes larger than 1 1/4 and no more than 4 wires. There are cities just north of me that do not allow you to drill floor joist. You run a small cable tray next to the wall. What a joke.

cselectric

Ah, the classic philosophical question, electrical division.

My answer is 42 12/2 or 14/2 NM in a single hole. Anymore than that and you'll need a subpanel. :D :D :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by highkvoltage:
There are cities just north of me that do not allow you to drill floor joist.
Of course not! You know, I have stacks of evidence on my desk proving undeniably that all structures that have collapsed that were built after 1970 had holes in their floor joists. That's irrefutable proof that buildings collapse!

Oh, but it goes deeper, friends. Were you aware that every single individual that drilled a hole through a joist, or lived in a building with holes in joists, in New York City in 1878 died??? It's epidemic!

I think I would move. :D

I wonder how fast they'd pass out seeing me blaze through TGI's with a claw hammer? :D

Edit to tweak my joke. Believe it or not, I believe that to be as funny as I can make it. :roll:

[ August 30, 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

tom25

You should try using Speedway instead of drilling
saves time, and does not ruin the integrity of the joists.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tom25:
You should try using Speedway instead of drilling
saves time, and does not ruin the integrity of the joists.
Tom do you sell 'Speedway'? :D

By the way I can only assume speedway is ENT?

Local slang is just that, local. :p

Around here I hear ENT called 'Smurf Tube'.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

"Speedway" is ENT? Uck.

Seems like it would take five times as long, look twice as bad, and be a tenth as durable as 2x4's. :D

tom25

It is a non-metallic support system for NM, UF & SE cables, not anything like ENT.
I use it a lot.

iwire

Staff member

Can you give us more info about it?

A link?

A manufacturer?

A part number?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

jeff43222

I drill and run through joists all the time, and I've never been tagged for it. I imagine, though, that someone could theoretically drill a big hole and cram way too many wires in it, where the wires in the middle would be prevented from dissipating heat.

I've heard this has been cited as a reason to fail inspection, but I don't know of a specific code section that prohibits it. Anyone know?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by georgestolz: Believe it or not, I believe that to be as funny as I can make it.
Don't give up your day job just yet. Wait for the book deals to come rolling in. :D

be4jc

I wonder how fast they'd pass out seeing me blaze through TGI's with a claw hammer?

Goerge! Thats so funny I could Spit :D
Also It's TJI Joisting

You know I posted The proper drilling of joisting

[ August 31, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: be4jc ]

leggo

hey guys,
I use speedway all the time in a basement. It is like using plastic D-Rings that hang on the bottom of the joist, then it has a plastic U-shaped cover that snaps on and covers the wires.
It saves a heck of a lot of time and finishes with a very nice look when it is done.
Ed
Ortonville, MI

badjeepr

I have heard reference that derating must now be applied when routing numerous conductors through a single drilled hole. the instructor at a "code changes" continuing education course required by washington state was discussing it but the end result was 3, 12-2's were still adequate through the same bored hole after derating.

macmikeman

In a house in my humble opinion, I think it is overblown for the most part. Like somebody said in an earlier post , if it is a 2" hole with every cable in the house run thru it, I would be concerned, especially if they did not fan out the wires in between joists. But in a commercial installation, now thats a different ball game all together. I would not be suprised at all to find overly hot cables if run in multiples of over 3 cables in the same holes. A lot of stuff in a commercial installation is up and running all at the same time during business hours. And the lighting loads are generally heavier. In my house there is over 50 receptacle outlets that do not generally get anything at all plugged into them. They are there to comply with spacing requirements, with some extra ones not required, but hey I wired my own house. I doubt there is a restaurant in the whole country that has so many receptacle outlets that go unused. Or a print shop, or a barber shop or whatever. Whats my point? Dwelling circuits for the most part are pretty much unloaded, mostly. Therefore, not much heat to dissipate on the cable . There ought to be some relief exemption for dwellings.

Status
Not open for further replies.