Driver junctions

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would like someone to explain how the disparity in wiring compartment sizes and required sizes of junction boxes is allowed. For example a 12-2 into a pancake would be overfilled, you the compartment on an led driver is smaller than the first joint of my thumb. Same thing with Plugmold end feeds. No way to avoid sharp bends or to fit the required conductor length.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I would like someone to explain how the disparity in wiring compartment sizes and required sizes of junction boxes is allowed. For example a 12-2 into a pancake would be overfilled, you the compartment on an led driver is smaller than the first joint of my thumb. Same thing with Plugmold end feeds. No way to avoid sharp bends or to fit the required conductor length.
The drivers have enough fill for what they have identified. Pancakes have the fill they have it is what it is. You only need 3 inches of conductor out of the driver box btw not 6 inches.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If I was guessing, I would say it has to do with how UL listed it.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I can't fit 1.5 inches in the driver.
Might be a technique issue if these are listed lights. I like to have all the leads coming from the same direction and then stagger the wagos inside the box with the longest wire being 4 inches and the shortest being about 3. Also connector choice makes a difference so on romex I go for the button connector and for mc I only like the 38a from arlington.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If I'm installing Plugmold on the side of an island cabinet, I do it without an end feed. I cut the wires between two receptacles and use the butt splices they provide.